Work on Help! concluded on this day, with mono and stereo mixes prepared for the album and single.
Two separate sessions took place, both in the control room of Abbey Road’s Studio Two. The first was from 10am-12.30pm, and saw mono mixes created of ‘I’ve Just Seen A Face’, ‘I’m Down’, ‘It’s Only Love’, ‘Act Naturally’ and ‘Wait’.
A mono mix of Yesterday had already been created on the previous day. As for Wait, it was deemed surplus to requirements at this stage, although the recording was reworked later in the year for Rubber Soul.
Also on this day...
- 2022: Tributes paid to Paul McCartney on his 80th birthday
- 2014: Ringo Starr live: Beacon Theatre, New York
- 2010: John Lennon’s handwritten lyrics for A Day In The Life sell for $1.2m
- 2009: Ringo Starr to get Hollywood Walk of Fame star
- 2001: Sir Paul McCartney’s coat of arms is granted
- 1973: US single release: Live And Let Die by Wings
- 1968: Première of the In His Own Write stage play
- 1968: George Harrison and Ringo Starr return to England from America
- 1968: Paul McCartney celebrates his 26th birthday at Apple
- 1965: Television: Tonight
- 1965: Radio: BBC European Service
- 1964: Live: Sydney Stadium, Sydney
- 1963: John Lennon beats up Cavern DJ Bob Wooler at Paul McCartney’s 21st birthday party
- 1961: Live: Top Ten Club, Hamburg
- 1960: Live: Grosvenor Ballroom, Wallasey
- 1956: Paul McCartney is given a trumpet for his 14th birthday
- 1942: Paul McCartney is born
Want more? Visit the Beatles history section.