They had flown to California on 7 June 1968. The purpose of the visit had been for Harrison to make a guest appearance in Ravi Shankar’s film Raga. The scene was filmed on 10 and 11 June in Big Sur, but the party stayed in Monterey during their visit.
The film was originally made under the working title East Meets West, and later known as Messenger Out Of The East before the eventual title was settled upon.
A brief silent news clip of the party arriving at London Airport exists and circulates on bootleg collections. It shows Harrison wearing a hat and holding a sitar, walking with the others down the steps from their aeroplane.
Also on this day...
- 2022: Tributes paid to Paul McCartney on his 80th birthday
- 2014: Ringo Starr live: Beacon Theatre, New York
- 2010: John Lennon’s handwritten lyrics for A Day In The Life sell for $1.2m
- 2009: Ringo Starr to get Hollywood Walk of Fame star
- 2001: Sir Paul McCartney’s coat of arms is granted
- 1973: US single release: Live And Let Die by Wings
- 1968: Première of the In His Own Write stage play
- 1968: Paul McCartney celebrates his 26th birthday at Apple
- 1965: Television: Tonight
- 1965: Radio: BBC European Service
- 1965: Mixing: I’ve Just Seen A Face, I’m Down, It’s Only Love, Act Naturally, Wait, Help!, Yesterday
- 1964: Live: Sydney Stadium, Sydney
- 1963: John Lennon beats up Cavern DJ Bob Wooler at Paul McCartney’s 21st birthday party
- 1961: Live: Top Ten Club, Hamburg
- 1960: Live: Grosvenor Ballroom, Wallasey
- 1956: Paul McCartney is given a trumpet for his 14th birthday
- 1942: Paul McCartney is born
Want more? Visit the Beatles history section.