Two days after arriving back in the UK from the Bahamas, The Beatles boarded the 11am flight from London Airport to Salzburg, Austria to continue filming Help!
Four thousand fans witnessed their arrival in Salzburg Airport, as did dozens of journalists and film crews. The group held a press conference at a nearby hotel before checking into the Hotel Edelweiss in the village of Obertauern.
The Beatles filmed all their Austrian scenes in Obertauern, where they stayed until 22 March 1965.
Also on this day...
- 2009: Former Capitol Records boss Alan Livingston dies at 91
- 1981: US single release: Watching The Wheels by John Lennon
- 1970: Mixing: Sentimental Journey by Ringo Starr
- 1969: Mixing: I’ve Got A Feeling, Dig It, Maggie Mae, Shake Rattle And Roll, Kansas City, Miss Ann, Lawdy Miss Clawdy, Blue Suede Shoes, You Really Got A Hold On Me
- 1967: Recording: Good Morning Good Morning
- 1964: Mixing: Komm, Gib Mir Deine Hand, Sie Liebt Dich
- 1964: Filming: A Hard Day’s Night
- 1963: Live: Rialto Theatre, York
- 1963: Recording, mixing: Thank You Girl
- 1962: Live: Cavern Club, Liverpool (lunchtime)
- 1961: Live: Liverpool Jazz Society, Liverpool
- 1961: Live: Cavern Club, Liverpool (lunchtime)
- 1958: Live: Morgue Skiffle Cellar, Liverpool
Want more? Visit the Beatles history section.