Studio Two, EMI Studios, Abbey Road
Producer: George Martin
Engineer: Norman Smith
This was The Beatles' second EMI session of the day; the first had ended so the group could record an interview and radio session for the BBC. The evening session began at 5pm and finished at 11pm, an hour later than scheduled.
The first song to be worked on was Money (That's What I Want). The Beatles had recorded the song during the 18 July session, but today saw George Martin overdub the piano chords in seven takes.
Till There Was You was another song begun on 18 July. The Beatles today recorded takes 4-8, the last of which was the best.
It Won't Be Long was completed next, following the morning's unsatisfactory attempts to capture it on tape. The Beatles recorded seven more takes (numbered 11-17) and six edit pieces (18-23). An edit of takes 17 and 21 was made on 21 August for the album.
The final song to be recorded on this day was Paul McCartney's All My Loving. The takes were numbered 1-14, although there was no take five. Of these, the first 11 were run-throughs of the song, and 12-14 were overdubs. The version on With The Beatles was a mix of takes 11 and 14.
Also on this day...
- 1969: Recording, mixing: You Never Give Me Your Money, Come Together, Polythene Pam, She Came In Through The Bathroom Window, Golden Slumbers, Carry That Weight, Sun King, Mean Mr Mustard, Her Majesty, The End
- 1968: Recording, mixing: Hey Jude
- 1965: Rehearsals for the North America tour
- 1964: Travel: Stockholm to London
- 1963: Radio: Non Stop Pop, Saturday Club
- 1963: Recording: Please Mister Postman, It Won’t Be Long
- 1962: Live: St John’s Hall, Bootle
- 1962: Live: Cavern Club, Liverpool (lunchtime)
- 1961: Live: Blair Hall, Liverpool
- 1960: Live: Grosvenor Ballroom, Wallasey
Want more? Visit the Beatles history section.