This was The Beatles' fifth and final appearance at St John's Hall in Bootle, at an event promoted by local teenager Dave Forshaw.
Following The Beatles' triumphant show at Litherland Town Hall on 27 December 1960, Forshaw booked The Beatles for three dates, each a month apart, at St John's Hall.
The Beatles appeared on five occasions at St John's Hall - on 6 January, 3 February and 3 March 1961, and on 2 March and 30 July 1962. Although by 1962 The Beatles had become more expensive to book than Forshaw's normal acts, he worked and saved hard to bring them back to the hall.
By the time of this show Forshaw had named his nights at the venue the Blue Penguin Club. St John's Hall was situated opposite Bootle Town Hall on Oriel Road, but was later demolished.
Also on this day...
- 1969: Recording, mixing: You Never Give Me Your Money, Come Together, Polythene Pam, She Came In Through The Bathroom Window, Golden Slumbers, Carry That Weight, Sun King, Mean Mr Mustard, Her Majesty, The End
- 1968: Recording, mixing: Hey Jude
- 1965: Rehearsals for the North America tour
- 1964: Travel: Stockholm to London
- 1963: Recording: Money, Till There Was You, Roll Over Beethoven, It Won’t Be Long, All My Loving
- 1963: Radio: Non Stop Pop, Saturday Club
- 1963: Recording: Please Mister Postman, It Won’t Be Long
- 1962: Live: Cavern Club, Liverpool (lunchtime)
- 1961: Live: Blair Hall, Liverpool
- 1960: Live: Grosvenor Ballroom, Wallasey
Want more? Visit the Beatles history section.