This was the second of The Beatles’ two Manchester bookings on this day, which overlapped with their performance on the People And Places programme.
At 4.30pm the group arrived at Manchester’s Playhouse Theatre for a rehearsal for their appearance on the BBC radio show Here We Go. They left at 5.30pm to return to the Granada studios, where they performed live on People And Places.
Here We Go was The Beatles’ fifth appearance for the BBC. The programme was broadcast at 5pm on Friday 25 January. ‘Three Cool Cats’ was the only song not included in the finished show; it is likely that the recording no longer exists.
Also on this day...
- 2021: Phil Spector dies
- 1980: Paul McCartney is arrested in Japan for marijuana possession
- 1970: John Lennon’s Bag One exhibition is raided by police
- 1967: Joe Orton begins writing a script for The Beatles’ third film
- 1965: Live: Another Beatles Christmas Show
- 1964: The Beatles reach number one in America
- 1964: Live: Olympia Theatre, Paris
- 1963: Television: People And Places
- 1957: The Cavern Club opens in Mathew Street, Liverpool
Want more? Visit the Beatles history section.