The Beatles appeared on two programmes in Manchester on this day. The first was for the Granada Television show People And Places.
At 3pm they began their rehearsal for the show in studio four of the Granada complex in Quay Street, Manchester. They spent an hour there before leaving for a second rehearsal at the city’s Playhouse Theatre, where they later recorded four songs for the Here We Go radio programme.
They returned to Granada for 6.35 for the live broadcast of People And Places. They mimed to ‘Ask Me Why’ and ‘Please Please Me’, before leaving at 7pm to return once more to the Playhouse.
Last updated: 8 June 2020
Also on this day...
- 2021: Phil Spector dies
- 1981: UK single release: Woman by John Lennon
- 1980: Paul McCartney is arrested in Japan for marijuana possession
- 1970: John Lennon’s Bag One exhibition is raided by police
- 1969: Get Back/Let It Be sessions: day 10
- 1967: Joe Orton begins writing a script for The Beatles’ third film
- 1965: Live: Another Beatles Christmas Show
- 1964: The Beatles reach number one in America
- 1964: Live: Olympia Theatre, Paris
- 1963: Radio: Here We Go
- 1957: The Cavern Club opens in Mathew Street, Liverpool
Want more? Visit the Beatles history section.