This lunchtime show at the Cavern Club had originally been scheduled to take place on 5 September 1962, but was postponed for 24 hours.
The Beatles’ second EMI recording session had taken place at Abbey Road on 4 September, and it wasn’t known if The Beatles would be able to return to Liverpool in time, so the show was moved to this date.
This was The Beatles’ 130th lunchtime show at the Cavern, and their 228th overall, including evening performances. Although the precise number of The Beatles’ Cavern Club shows is not known, they played at least 155 lunchtime and 125 evening shows between 9 February 1961 and 3 August 1963.
Also on this day...
- 2010: Ringo’s Beatles debut venue burns down
- 1968: Recording: While My Guitar Gently Weeps
- 1968: Television: Paul McCartney and Mary Hopkin filmed for Magpie
- 1967: Recording, mixing: I Am The Walrus, The Fool On The Hill, Blue Jay Way
- 1966: John Lennon begins wearing ‘granny’ glasses
- 1964: Live: Olympia Stadium, Detroit
- 1963: Live: Odeon Cinema, Luton
- 1963: UK EP release: The Beatles’ Hits
- 1962: Live: Rialto Ballroom, Liverpool
- 1961: Live: Cavern Club, Liverpool (evening)
- 1960: Live: Indra Club, Hamburg
Want more? Visit the Beatles history section.