McCartney’s brief appearance saw him accompanying Hopkin on a piano as she sang and played guitar. It was filmed at the Apple Corps headquarters at 3 Savile Row, London.
Hopkin took part in other filming during this day, between 11am and 4.30pm, in a variety of locations. The footage was subsequently edited down to 3’45” and became part of a six-minute sequence about the singer on the new children’s television show Magpie.
The film was shown in the edition of Magpie broadcast on 10 September 1968 on the ITV network, shown from 5.10-5.50pm. Hopkin also made a live appearance on the show, which was filmed in studio three at Teddington.
Also on this day...
- 2010: Ringo’s Beatles debut venue burns down
- 1968: Recording: While My Guitar Gently Weeps
- 1967: Recording, mixing: I Am The Walrus, The Fool On The Hill, Blue Jay Way
- 1966: John Lennon begins wearing ‘granny’ glasses
- 1964: Live: Olympia Stadium, Detroit
- 1963: Live: Odeon Cinema, Luton
- 1963: UK EP release: The Beatles’ Hits
- 1962: Live: Rialto Ballroom, Liverpool
- 1962: Live: Cavern Club, Liverpool (lunchtime)
- 1961: Live: Cavern Club, Liverpool (evening)
- 1960: Live: Indra Club, Hamburg
Want more? Visit the Beatles history section.