This was the second of four appearance by The Beatles aboard the MV Royal Iris, a River Mersey ferry commonly known as The Fish And Chip Boat.
The events, known as Riverboat Shuffles, were put on by Ray McFall, owner of the Cavern Club. A variety of entertainers normally appeared, to attract the widest possible audiences.
On this occasion, as with the first, The Beatles were second on the bill to headliner Acker Bilk, trad jazz clarinetist, and his Paramount Jazz Band. Bilk’s single Stranger On The Shore was still a top 10 hit over six months after its release.
Also on this day...
- 2018: Ringo Starr live at Salle des Étoiles Sporting Club, Monte Carlo, Monaco
- 2011: Paul McCartney launches design competition for graphic designers and illustrators
- 2010: Apple Records’ remastered back catalogue to be released
- 1966: The Beatles’ first trip to India
- 1964: World première of A Hard Day’s Night
- 1963: Live: Memorial Hall, Northwich
- 1961: Mersey Beat launches
- 1957: John Lennon meets Paul McCartney
Want more? Visit the Beatles history section.