This was the third of four appearance by The Beatles aboard the MV Royal Iris, a River Mersey ferry commonly known as The Fish And Chip Boat.
The events, known as Riverboat Shuffles, were put on by Ray McFall, owner of the Cavern Club. A variety of entertainers normally appeared, to attract the widest possible audiences.
On this occasion The Beatles were second on the bill to headliners Johnny Kidd and the Pirates. Also appearing were Pete Maclaine and the Dakotas, an instrumental group from Manchester.
The Riverboat Shuffles began and ended at the Pier Head, Liverpool. Other such events at which The Beatles played took place on 25 August 1961, and 6 July and 28 September 1962.
Last updated: 9 September 2012
Also on this day...
- 2014: Paul McCartney live: Dodger Stadium, Los Angeles
- 1968: Paul McCartney is interviewed for New Musical Express
- 1963: Live: Springfield Ballroom, Jersey
- 1961: Live: St John’s Hall, Liverpool
- 1961: Live: Cavern Club, Liverpool (lunchtime)
Want more? Visit the Beatles history section.
I have a bill poster dated Friday 25th August 1961 of Acker Bilk supported by The Beatles!