This was the last of four appearance by The Beatles aboard the MV Royal Iris, a River Mersey ferry commonly known as The Fish And Chip Boat.
The events, known as Riverboat Shuffles, were put on by Ray McFall, owner of the Cavern Club. A variety of entertainers normally appeared, to attract the widest possible audiences.
On this occasion The Beatles topped the bill, with support from Lee Castle and the Barons
Also on this day...
- 2014: Paul McCartney live at Petco Park, San Diego, California
- 2010: Cilla Black unveils London plaque for Brian Epstein
- 1970: US album release: Beaucoups Of Blues by Ringo Starr
- 1969: Recording: Cold Turkey by Plastic Ono Band
- 1967: Recording, mixing, editing: I Am The Walrus, Flying
- 1962: Live: Cavern Club, Liverpool (lunchtime)
- 1961: Live: Litherland Town Hall, Liverpool
- 1960: Live: Indra Club, Hamburg
Want more? Visit the Beatles history section.