This was The Beatles’ 31st of 48 nights at Hamburg’s Star-Club, the city’s newest rock ‘n’ roll venue.
The Beatles played three separate residencies at the club in 1962. This was the first, and saw the group perform for a total of 172 hours over seven weeks. Their only night off was Good Friday, 20 April.
It was The Beatles’ third residency in a Hamburg club within two years, and followed a series of shows at the Indra, the Kaiserkeller and the Top Ten Club.
Also on this day...
- 2016: Beatles press officer Tony Barrow dies
- 2010: John Lennon statue to be unveiled in Liverpool
- 2009: Beatles Trivial Pursuit on sale in August
- 1968: Lennon and McCartney give interviews in New York
- 1963: Live: Rink Ballroom, Sunderland
- 1961: Live: Top Ten Club, Hamburg
- 1960: Live: Lathom Hall, Liverpool
Want more? Visit the Beatles history section.