This was The Beatles’ 16th of 48 nights at Hamburg’s Star-Club, the city’s newest rock ‘n’ roll venue.
The Beatles played three separate residencies at the club in 1962. This was the first, and saw the group perform for a total of 172 hours over seven weeks. Their only night off was Good Friday, 20 April.
It was The Beatles’ third residency in a Hamburg club within two years, and followed a series of shows at the Indra, the Kaiserkeller and the Top Ten Club.
Also on this day...
- 2008: Give Peace A Chance lyrics to be sold
- 1977: UK album release: Thrillington by Paul McCartney
- 1969: Recording, mixing: Octopus’s Garden
- 1967: John Lennon attends the 14 Hour Technicolour Dream
- 1966: Recording, mixing: Eleanor Rigby, I’m Only Sleeping
- 1965: Filming: Help!
- 1964: Live: ABC Cinema, Edinburgh
- 1964: The Beatles are photographed with their Madame Tussauds wax figures
- 1961: Live: Top Ten Club, Hamburg
Want more? Visit the Beatles history section.