Studio Three, EMI Studios, Abbey Road
Producer: Chris Thomas
Engineer: Jeff Jarratt
The group had recorded 32 takes of the backing track on 26 April 1969. Three days on and Starr erased his guide vocals by recording two lead vocal tracks, including some harmonies in places. Also recorded was a piano part during the bridges, although it is unclear whether this was from this day or the 26th.
Four stereo mixes of Octopus's Garden were made at the end of the session. However, more overdubs were added in July 1969, rendering these unnecessary.
There was also a playback of recently-recorded songs, held in the control room of Studio Three, from 2.30-6.30pm.
Also on this day...
- 2008: Give Peace A Chance lyrics to be sold
- 1967: John Lennon attends the 14 Hour Technicolour Dream
- 1966: Recording, mixing: Eleanor Rigby, I’m Only Sleeping
- 1965: Filming: Help!
- 1964: Live: ABC Cinema, Edinburgh
- 1964: The Beatles are photographed with their Madame Tussauds wax figures
- 1962: Live: Star-Club, Hamburg
- 1961: Live: Top Ten Club, Hamburg
Want more? Visit the Beatles history section.