This was The Beatles' 52nd evening show at the Cavern Club. They topped a bill which also featured Cyril Preston's Excelsior Jazz Band, and the Zenith Six Jazz Band.
Overall this was The Beatles' 137th appearance at the underground Mathew Street venue, including their lunchtime shows.
One of my favourite bands, and nobody has ever heard of them, was a jazz band from Manchester called the Zenith Six, who were absolutely great and quite funny as well: they had some good chat between the numbers. They did old favourites like Tiger Rag and Savoy Blues, but there was something different and cheeky about them.
The Cavern, Spencer Leigh
Also on this day...
- 2015: Ringo Starr live at Peace Center, Greenville, SC, USA
- 2010: National Trust considers campaign to buy Abbey Road Studios
- 2010: McCartney hopes Abbey Road can be saved after reports of an EMI sale
- 1975: US album release: Rock ‘N’ Roll by John Lennon
- 1970: Recording, mixing: I’m A Fool To Care, Love Is A Many Splendoured Thing by Ringo Starr
- 1967: Recording, mixing: Being For The Benefit Of Mr Kite!
- 1967: UK single release: Penny Lane/Strawberry Fields Forever
- 1965: Recording: The Night Before, You Like Me Too Much
- 1964: Day off in Miami
- 1963: Television: Thank Your Lucky Stars
- 1961: Live: St John’s Hall, Liverpool
Want more? Visit the Beatles history section.