Studio Two, EMI Studios, Abbey Road
Producer: George Martin
The backing track and lead vocals for Ringo Starr's Sentimental Journey song I'm A Fool To Care had been recorded on 11 February 1970. During this follow-up session a 15-piece string orchestra was added to that song, and to Love Is A Many Splendoured Thing.
The session began with a reduction mix of I'm A Fool To Care, to free up space on the multitrack tape. This was created from 9.30-10am.
Recording started at 10am, with Francis Shaw conducted the string players. The session ended at 1pm.
I'm A Fool To Care was completed on this day, but Love Is A Many Splendoured Thing was finished two days later with the addition of more instruments and vocals.
Also on this day...
- 2015: Ringo Starr live at Peace Center, Greenville, SC, USA
- 2010: National Trust considers campaign to buy Abbey Road Studios
- 2010: McCartney hopes Abbey Road can be saved after reports of an EMI sale
- 1975: US album release: Rock ‘N’ Roll by John Lennon
- 1967: Recording, mixing: Being For The Benefit Of Mr Kite!
- 1967: UK single release: Penny Lane/Strawberry Fields Forever
- 1965: Recording: The Night Before, You Like Me Too Much
- 1964: Day off in Miami
- 1963: Television: Thank Your Lucky Stars
- 1962: Live: Cavern Club, Liverpool (evening)
- 1961: Live: St John’s Hall, Liverpool
Want more? Visit the Beatles history section.