Pete Best was born Randolph Peter Best on 24 November 1941 in Madras, India.
Best’s mother Mona, who was born in Delhi, India, met his father John while she was training to become a Red Cross nurse. They married and both Pete and his younger brother Rory were born in India.
The family sailed to Liverpool in 1945 on the Georgic, the last troop ship to leave India. It docked on 25 December 1945.
Pete Best was The Beatles’ original drummer, prior to Ringo Starr joining.
Also on this day...
- 1967: UK single release: Hello, Goodbye
- 1966: Recording: Strawberry Fields Forever
- 1963: Live: ABC Cinema, Hull
- 1962: Live: Royal Lido Ballroom, Prestatyn
- 1961: Live: Tower Ballroom, New Brighton, Wallasey
- 1961: Live: Casbah Coffee Club, Liverpool
- 1960: Live: Kaiserkeller, Hamburg
Want more? Visit the Beatles history section.