A dispute over Yoko Ono’s contribution to the songwriting meant its release was delayed from 1971. It was eventually issued as Apple R 5870, and peaked at number four on the singles chart.
‘Happy Xmas (War Is Over)’ was reissued in the UK following Lennon’s death in 1980, and reached number two. It also charted on the following two years, and occasionally in subsequent years.
In the USA the single had been released on 1 December 1971.
Also on this day...
- 2008: UK album release: Electric Arguments by The Fireman (Paul McCartney and Youth)
- 1976: US album release: Thirty Three & 1/3 by George Harrison
- 1967: UK single release: Hello, Goodbye
- 1966: Recording: Strawberry Fields Forever
- 1963: Live: ABC Cinema, Hull
- 1962: Live: Royal Lido Ballroom, Prestatyn
- 1961: Live: Tower Ballroom, New Brighton, Wallasey
- 1961: Live: Casbah Coffee Club, Liverpool
- 1960: Live: Kaiserkeller, Hamburg
- 1941: Pete Best is born
Want more? Visit the Beatles history section.