Please consider registering
sp_LogInOut Log Insp_Registration Register
Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
sp_Feed sp_TopicIcon
1950s and previous (including childhood pics)
9 January 2015
7.47pm
Ahhh Girl
sailing on a winedark open sea

Moderators

Members

Reviewers
Forum Posts: 22223
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
121sp_Permalink sp_Print

I’m still in Beatles kindergarten learning my ABCs. I am really surprised I even got George.

9 January 2015
8.38pm
Hildy
The Star-Club
Members
Forum Posts: 73
122sp_Permalink sp_Print

Ron Nasty said
I’ve always found the Rosebery Street photo interesting. I’ve often looked at it and found myself thinking, “That’s Paul looking on there!” (Bottom right hand corner):

400px-Quarrymen-mccartney_1957_full.jpgImage Enlarger

And then thinking, “Nah!”

Yes, it’s 22 June 1957, but calling it, as the article does, “The Earliest Photograph of John Lennon and Paul McCartney Together” is slightly misleading. They can hardly be said to be “together” if it is Paul. All it adds is the possibility that 6 July was not the first time Paul saw The Quarrymen. An interesting photo, and one I have wondered about, but I don’t think it contradicts the history about when John and Paul first met, and the first photo of them together, and not just in the same picture, comes from after they met.

First impression – that’s Paul McCartney !

9 January 2015
8.44pm
meanmistermustard
Thankfully not where I am.
Members

Reviewers

Moderators
Forum Posts: 24964

a-hard-days-night-ringo-8Not for me is that Paul in the picture.

"I told you everything I could about me, Told you everything I could" ('Before Believing' - Emmylou Harris)

10 January 2015
1.02am
C.R.A.
Land of the Rising Sun
Carnegie Hall
Members
Forum Posts: 509
124sp_Permalink sp_Print

meanmistermustard said
a-hard-days-night-ringo-8Not for me is that Paul in the picture.

Agreed.

10 January 2015
1.16am
Mr. Kite
910 Penny Lane, Strawberry Fields, Pepperland
Apple rooftop
Members

Reviewers
Forum Posts: 6147
125sp_Permalink sp_Print

I’m still not sure whether Paul needed glasses or not, but this examines that picture.

If I spoke prose you'd all find out, I don't know what I talk about.

Can buy Joe love!
If you're shopping at one of these two websites use the links below to support the Beatles Bible:

Amazon | iTunes

10 January 2015
3.32am
parlance
Slaggers
Apple rooftop
Members
Forum Posts: 7111
126sp_Permalink sp_Print

^^ That’s how this conversation got started. :-)

parlance

Beware of sadness. It can hit you. It can hurt you. Make you sore and what is more, that is not what you are here for. - George

Check out my fan video for Paul's song "Appreciate" at Vimeo or YouTube.

12 January 2015
12.03am
Hildy
The Star-Club
Members
127sp_Permalink sp_Print

Has anyone ever asked Paul if he recognises himself in that photo?

If not, is there way that this website could do it? 

12 January 2015
12.15am
Ahhh Girl

Moderators

Members

Reviewers
128sp_Permalink sp_Print

Hildy said

Has anyone ever asked Paul if he recognises himself in that photo?

If not, is there way that this website could do it? 

I’m not sure about the first question. I think he has though.

Regarding the second question, I bet that is one of @Joe’s wishes when he blows out the candles on his birthday cake each year, sees a shooting star, sees the first star of the night, and throws a penny in a wishing well.

12 January 2015
12.38am
Hildy
The Star-Club
Members
129sp_Permalink sp_Print

I’m a newcomer here so I don’t want to get ahead of myself, but Joe has surely earned the right to at least ask for an interview with Paul. As they say on Top Gear, what’s the worst that could happen?

If the question isn’t asked, it won’t happen. If it is, it just might.

The following people thank Hildy for this post:

Ahhh Girl
12 January 2015
12.50am
Ahhh Girl

Moderators

Members

Reviewers
130sp_Permalink sp_Print

I’ll let @Joe take that one on. I sure think he has earned an interview. Who knows, perhaps one day. Aw, dang, that would be exciting!

12 January 2015
5.35pm
Joe
Pepperland
Admin
Forum Posts: 5694
131sp_Permalink sp_Print

@Hildy said
I’m a newcomer here so I don’t want to get ahead of myself, but Joe has surely earned the right to at least ask for an interview with Paul. As they say on Top Gear, what’s the worst that could happen?

This is a bit off-topic, but never mind.

I’ve never asked. From what I can tell, he tends to give interviews to press when he’s got a product to plug, but less often to authors wanting to conduct a more wide-ranging interrogation. And to be honest, apart from a few arcane details, there’s not a lot I really want to know about him. He must have given thousands of interviews over the years, with ever-decreasing returns. The more recent ones I’ve read haven’t been hugely illuminating. He declined to be interviewed by Mark Lewisohn for All These Years, but spoke in depth to Tom Doyle about the post-Beatles years. That suggests he’s fairly selective about who he talks to, and the subjects under discussion.

It’s funny, I often think it must be amazing to sit down with a Beatle, but if it happened I bet I’d clam up and/or go into rabid fan mode. Also, I’m sure if he was asked about the Rosebery Street pic he wouldn’t know if it was him, but would give a fairly generic response nonetheless.

I don’t generally enjoy doing interviews – I’ve done plenty in the past, and often find them to be more trouble than they’re worth (researching, setting up recording kit, writing some decent questions, coaxing good answers). I definitely don’t enjoy the press day thing when you get an allotted 10 minutes with someone. But the real truth of the matter is I get a bit anxious in social situations so prefer to hide behind a computer rather than meet people or speak on the phone.

The following people thank Joe for this post:

parlance, Ahhh Girl, meanmistermustard, C.R.A.

Can buy me love! Please consider supporting the Beatles Bible on Amazon
Or buy my paperback/ebook! Riding So High – The Beatles and Drugs

Don't miss The Bowie Bible – now live!

12 January 2015
6.20pm
Ahhh Girl

Moderators

Members

Reviewers
132sp_Permalink sp_Print

a-hard-days-night-ringo-8 Hehehehe, I guess that was me projecting MY fantasy onto Joe. I’d get McCartney alone any which-a-way I could. I’ll gladly spend a thousand wishes on that scenario.

12 January 2015
6.59pm
Hildy
The Star-Club
Members
133sp_Permalink sp_Print

Joe said

@Hildy said

This is a bit off-topic, but never mind.

I’ve never asked. From what I can tell, he tends to give interviews to press when he’s got a product to plug, but less often to authors wanting to conduct a more wide-ranging interrogation. And to be honest, apart from a few arcane details, there’s not a lot I really want to know about him. He must have given thousands of interviews over the years, with ever-decreasing returns. The more recent ones I’ve read haven’t been hugely illuminating. He declined to be interviewed by Mark Lewisohn for All These Years, but spoke in depth to Tom Doyle about the post-Beatles years. That suggests he’s fairly selective about who he talks to, and the subjects under discussion.

It’s funny, I often think it must be amazing to sit down with a Beatle, but if it happened I bet I’d clam up and/or go into rabid fan mode. Also, I’m sure if he was asked about the Rosebery Street pic he wouldn’t know if it was him, but would give a fairly generic response nonetheless.

I don’t generally enjoy doing interviews – I’ve done plenty in the past, and often find them to be more trouble than they’re worth (researching, setting up recording kit, writing some decent questions, coaxing good answers). I definitely don’t enjoy the press day thing when you get an allotted 10 minutes with someone. But the real truth of the matter is I get a bit anxious in social situations so prefer to hide behind a computer rather than meet people or speak on the phone.

Thanks for the reply, Joe.

To be honest, spending time with him informally over a meal or a drink would be the most agreeable situation, maybe for him too. A formal interview could be stilted and difficult, but he might be more inclined to agree to this than in the past. I think he’s more open about meeting the public than before. 

It could be that reminiscing on the record about the Beatle era is awkward because of legal difficulties. Anything he says could be challenged by the estates of John Lennon and George Harrison , and he doesn’t need that, but if he was given the opportunity to approve of the published draft before it goes to print, he might be prepared to consider the idea.

People on here aren’t trying to trip him up – we are just curious about the remarkable personalities behind the most iconic band of all time.

I think a request should be made, and of course I’m more than happy to volunteer my services if you need some moral support!

12 January 2015
10.50pm
C.R.A.
Land of the Rising Sun
Carnegie Hall
Members
Forum Posts: 509
134sp_Permalink sp_Print

On top of the legal aspects you alluded to, he’s probably fed up (just based on a few tracks he’s written recently) with being told his ‘reminiscing’ is inaccurate.  I think we’ve all found ourselves with a memory or two that may not be accurate, but it’s how we remember it.  Having someone get in your face with reams of quotes and tape evidence to suggest your memories are faulty, is probably exasperating.  I can’t fault the man for wanting to back off recollecting his past to a media representative.

Not to mention the whole ‘life after Beatles’ thing.

It’s just another facet of The Beatles mystique; always wanting more when the well is practically dry.  But because it’s not yet dry…

13 January 2015
11.10am
Billy Rhythm
Shea Stadium
Members
Forum Posts: 953
135sp_Permalink sp_Print

C.R.A. said
he’s probably fed up with being told his ‘reminiscing’ is inaccurate.  I think we’ve all found ourselves with a memory or two that may not be accurate, but it’s how we remember it.  

Myself personally would much rather adopt the record on how The Beatles & their Close Associates “remember it”, and not what some historian claims to may or may not have happened.  Even the “inaccuracies” give much insight into the truth, depending on who and how it was represented, and even more importantly, when it was said.  I make my “recollections” (if they can even be called that) primarily from first hand sources predating John Lennon ‘s death, and for two reasons.  First, many things have been said/claimed to have happened post-1980 that were never brought up while John was still alive and I believe that in a few instances that they wouldn’t have been if he was.  This suggests to me that John himself had closed the book on certain subjects for his own personal reasons which should be respected, or in some cases the claims are indeed false.  Secondly, the numerous interviews provided by the four Beatles and their Associates given during The Beatles’ heyday and throughout the 1970’s were more “fresh” in their minds, having been given closer to the actual events and by minds/memories not deteriorated as much by elder age.

There’s an amusing ‘Extra’ included with The Beatles’ ‘Anthology’ video collection where The Theatles & George Martin are in Abbey Road “reminiscing’ about the ‘Golden Slumbers ‘ tracks.  George Martin is seen with his glasses on examining the tape box of the master that they’re listening to as the boys are discussing who’s actually playing bass on the track.  Sir George doesn’t appear to have any accurate documentation on the tape box (these tape boxes have liner notes referencing the material contained within) to settle Paul & George’s discussion on who’s playing bass on the song and they all have a nice little discussion that says much more than some bit of paper that somebody else says “proves” George played bass on the song, George even asks “which one (album) is this on”?!  I think that over time that many outsiders have focused on these small details and made the historic record more muddy in their attempts to find “the truth”, much like the Bible itself has been obscured by the many different translations over the ages.  It’s as though some are focused primarily on the needles of the trees and fail to see the whole forest…:-)

The following people thank Billy Rhythm for this post:

C.R.A.
24 January 2015
1.27am
ewe2
Inside the beat
Rishikesh
Members
Forum Posts: 3025
136sp_Permalink sp_Print

No one likes to be told their memory is faulty or they aren’t objective, but it’s true nevertheless. Paul even disagrees with his own brother on childhood events, let alone anything connected to the Beatles. Nor can anyone say one way or another if stories are true/false just because they came out after John died, there’s no objective proof. I think Lewisohn has done the best anyone really can to make sense of the memories and inconsistencies and has turned up some genuinely interesting information and questions.

For instance, to quote Lewisohn (and to wrangle the subject back to some semblance of topic),

Eric Griffiths joined the merchant navy and was at sea 1958–64. The problem of piecing together the Quarry Men chronology, where so many anecdotes and memories are contradictory, is underlined again by the 2010 discovery of a document showing that Griffiths’ first voyage sailed on February 14, 1958. This means it cannot be him holding a guitar in the color photograph taken a month later … and yet George Harrison recalled instigating Eric’s dismissal, and Nigel Walley remembers Eric’s distress when he was informed of it. The only way these pieces could fit would be if George joined the group considerably earlier than February, but every account says he didn’t and his “audition piece,” “Raunchy,” was little known before this time—besides which, Eric would have been aware of his maiden voyage some weeks before it happened and wouldn’t have been upset at the prospect of leaving the group. Perhaps the sailing record is incorrect and it is Eric Griffiths holding a guitar in the March 1958 photo; but if it isn’t, there’s no clue to who else it was.

This is the Mike McCartney one that shows a guitar headstock to the left (over George’s arm), and we don’t know who it is.

quarrymendennislittler.jpgImage Enlarger

The following people thank ewe2 for this post:

Beatlebug

I'm like Necko only I'm a bassist ukulele guitar synthesizer kazoo penguin and also everyone. Or is everyone me? Now I'm a confused bassist ukulele guitar synthesizer kazoo penguin everyone who is definitely not @Joe.  This has been true for 2016 & 2017 Sig-Badge.png but I may have to get more specific in the future.

aus-flag-v-small.png

17 March 2015
12.16am
StarrisonSubmarine
Cheshire, UK
London Palladium
Members
Forum Posts: 166

I’ve noticed a lack of Ringo. 
(Perhaps that might be the fact that in a lot of the earlier posts the pictures have been deleted or can’t be seen anymore?) Anyway I have a few. Some I’m not entirely sure if they’re late 50’s or early 60’s but I think they are pre-Beatles. 

I don’t know dates or sources or anything- they’ve been picked up from random sites. I think a few are from his photograph book. 

66f7278a60bdaac9d4a89261a829cb0b.jpgImage Enlarger

tumblr_mpqw4o7bvH1qczzlio1_1280.jpgImage Enlarger

tumblr_mpqw4o7bvH1qczzlio4_1280.pngImage Enlarger

tumblr_mrpb2erIn71qjrjy4o1_500.jpgImage Enlarger

Ringo-Starr-with-his-first-car-a-custom-painted-Standard-Vanguard-which-cost-75-pounds.pngImage Enlarger

I had others but I couldn’t decide if they were late 50’s or early 60’s. 
Seriously I have at least one Ringo picture for any occasion. 

The following people thank StarrisonSubmarine for this post:

Starr Shine?, Ahhh Girl, parlance, C.R.A., Beatlebug

tumblr_mces572Eol1qft6pz.gif"Y'know" - Paul McCartney

17 March 2015
3.24pm
Beatlebug
Find me where ye echo lays

Moderators
Forum Posts: 18182
138sp_Permalink sp_Print

ewe2 said
<shear>
This is the Mike McCartney one that shows a guitar headstock to the left (over George’s arm), and we don’t know who it is.

quarrymendennislittler.jpgImage Enlarger

Wow, that scrawny kid turned into 

article-2001832-00482F1D00000258-941_468x518.jpgImage Enlarger

Sorry, getting off-topic. 

stay-on-topic

([{BRACKETS!}])
New to Forumpool? You can introduce yourself here.
If you love The Beatles Bible, and you have adblock, don't forget to white-list this site!
whiteheart.png
avatar_creative_signature_Hmm.pngStarSpangledBanner.png

27 April 2015
2.23pm
Beatleva
In my life
Hollywood Bowl
Members
Forum Posts: 672
139sp_Permalink sp_Print

Image Enlarger

It says Jim Kelly, is that a mistake? Do they actually mean Arthur Kelly?

13 May 2015
1.59pm
12StringKing
The Kaiserkeller
Members
Forum Posts: 49

Great pictures on this thread so far. However, because I’m a lunatic, I’m obsessed with chronological order. There must be a way to sequence these images to get a picture of the progression from childhood to adulthood of these guys.

Thus, I’m doing just that. I’m finding all the young Beatle photos I can find on the internet and arranging them in what I believe is a chronological order. Nothing fancy, just google presentations. However, I’m terrible at dating things myself, so I’m hoping that some folk can help me. There are pictures that haven’t been posted in this thread too, so you can go over to look at them if you want to simply browse.

Feel free to edit and comment with whatever you like. Pretty much everything on them is speculative and I have an extra copy, so don’t be afraid of messing things up. I’m looking to create a resource for people to look at if they want to find these photos, like the one on the main website but separated into the four by year. I split them up and I’m getting to them as I go, so have a look if you’re interested.

John Lennon to 1957

Paul McCartney to 1957

George Harrison to 1958

Richard Starkie to 1960

The following people thank 12StringKing for this post:

Beatlebug, Midori78
Forum Timezone: Europe/London
Most Users Ever Online: 700
Currently Online:
Guest(s) 1
Top Posters:
Starr Shine?: 16105
Ron Nasty: 12534
Zig: 9832
50yearslate: 8759
Necko: 8043
AppleScruffJunior: 7583
parlance: 7111
mr. Sun king coming together: 6402
Mr. Kite: 6147
trcanberra: 6064
Member Stats:
Guest Posters: 88
Members: 2858
Moderators: 5
Admins: 1
Forum Stats:
Groups: 3
Forums: 44
Topics: 5519
Newest Members:
katybphoto, sleeptalker, Lovethebeatles, vtrop, nickygrangery
Moderators: Joe: 5694, meanmistermustard: 24964, Ahhh Girl: 22223, Beatlebug: 18182, The Hole Got Fixed: 8410
Administrators: Joe: 5694