Please consider registering
sp_LogInOut Log Insp_Registration Register
Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
sp_Feed sp_TopicIcon
1950s and previous (including childhood pics)
9 March 2013
3.58pm
LongHairedLady
coming in through the bathroom window
Candlestick Park
Members
Forum Posts: 2098
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

I Just checked, it was July 6th.

"Please don't bring your banjo back, I know where it's been..  I wasn't hardly gone a day, when it became the scene..  Banjos!  Banjos!  All the time, I can't forget that tune..  and if I ever see another banjo, I'm going out and buy a big balloon!"

11 March 2013
5.24pm
Joe
Pepperland
Admin
Forum Posts: 5691

john-lennon_0021.jpgImage Enlarger

I found this pic on an Australian government archive of old newspapers and magazines. There’s loads of stuff in there that probably isn’t well known about – plenty of crappy reports about the Beatlemania phenomenon, but some diamonds in the rough. I found an interview from the set of AHDN that I hadn’t read before.

This pic is captioned “Toddler John in his toy car”, and is from a 1964 edition of the Australian Women’s Weekly. Has anyone seen this photo before? It’s completely new to me, and I wonder if I accidentally stumbled upon a very rarely seen pic. What do you lot think?

The following people thank Joe for this post:

Beatleva

Can buy me love! Please consider supporting the Beatles Bible on Amazon
Or buy my paperback/ebook! Riding So High – The Beatles and Drugs

Don't miss The Bowie Bible – now live!

12 March 2013
4.38pm
fabfouremily
Sitting in an English garden
Rishikesh
Members
Forum Posts: 2929

^ I’ve never seen that photo before.

Moving along in our God given ways, safety is sat by the fire/Sanctuary from these feverish smiles, left with a mark on the door.

(Passover - I. Curtis)

13 March 2013
7.26am
Ron Nasty
Apple rooftop
Members

Reviewers
Forum Posts: 12534

Joe said
john-lennon_0021.jpgImage Enlarger

I found this pic on an Australian government archive of old newspapers and magazines. There’s loads of stuff in there that probably isn’t well known about – plenty of crappy reports about the Beatlemania phenomenon, but some diamonds in the rough. I found an interview from the set of AHDN that I hadn’t read before.

This pic is captioned “Toddler John in his toy car”, and is from a 1964 edition of the Australian Women’s Weekly. Has anyone seen this photo before? It’s completely new to me, and I wonder if I accidentally stumbled upon a very rarely seen pic. What do you lot think?

I have a vague recollection of this picture, I think. Now this could be my mind deceiving me. I remember a pictorial article from years and years back. I think it was a front page Sunday Times Magazine. It was called “The Unseen Lennon”. It was to mark an anniversary, or maybe even coincided with the release of Imagine : John Lennon . That far back. There was also an accompanying Hunter Davies essay. Something in my head is telling me this picture, or one taken at the same time, was included in the pictorial. However wrong or vague I might be about the publication details, I do remember the article, and it came into my mind as soon as I saw this picture. I do not recall seeing it anywhere else. And it could just be my mind playing tricks on me.

Thanks for the link, by the way. That’s somewhere I’m going to be exploring.

"I only said we were bigger than Rod... and now there's all this!" Ron Nasty

To @ Ron Nasty it's @ mja6758
The Beatles Bible 2020 non-Canon Poll Part One: 1958-1963 and Part Two: 1964-August 1966

13 March 2013
10.48am
Joe
Pepperland
Admin
Forum Posts: 5691

Thanks for the info, mja. I’m surprised it hasn’t been reused more often – normally childhood pics are all fairly well known, though I guess the Lennon family, the photographer (if known) or whoever owns the copyright might be very strict about granting licences.

If you do explore that Australian site, do post any interesting links. I had a look up to 1964 (when they toured the country), but there’s just so much to sift through. Any interviews or unique material would be good to see.

Can buy me love! Please consider supporting the Beatles Bible on Amazon
Or buy my paperback/ebook! Riding So High – The Beatles and Drugs

Don't miss The Bowie Bible – now live!

31 July 2013
1.36am
Zig
The Toppermost of the Poppermost
Apple rooftop
Members

Reviewers
Forum Posts: 9832

01t.jpgImage Enlarger

To the fountain of perpetual mirth, let it roll for all its worth. And all the children boogie.

21 February 2014
2.30am
C.R.A.
Land of the Rising Sun
Carnegie Hall
Members
Forum Posts: 509

mja6758 said
Interesting to have another voice, and all us saying pretty much the same: Not willing to  say it’s not. As to the glasses, they may not be prescription but sunglasses. Difficult to tell from the angle. But we all know Paul rode a bike at that time, because he rode it to go and meet John a couple of weeks later. Whoever it is in the picture, they do seem to be sitting on a bike (the position of the arms looks like holding handlebars).

I agree with the general sentiment of the thread that this photo (if actual) isn’t significant to their history, but your speculation about a bicycle falls into what I was thinking; that this person is either quite tall (compared to other males in the photo) or he’s on something.  McCartney may have been the tallest (at least as tall) of the four, but he’s under 6ft., and if on a bicycle, it would have to be pointed toward the stage.  I don’t know, I’m not a forensic analyst.  I just don’t think this is McCartney.

8 April 2014
3.44pm
LikeASir
London Palladium
Members
Forum Posts: 175

Found this one on tumblr. I think it’s probably late 50s early 60s.tumblr_n3ns0tyTLm1sofauzo8_500.jpgImage Enlarger

The following people thank LikeASir for this post:

Starr Shine?, C.R.A.

"White Album - My joint-fave Beatles album along with Revolver. They show the two sides of Beatles. Revolver's very controlled - even though it's also very innovative. The White Album's playful and almost ramshackle. It's like a scrapbook kept by a genius. Fantastic stuff."

28 May 2014
2.15am
parlance
Slaggers
Apple rooftop
Members
Forum Posts: 7111

parlance said
BeatlesWiki posted a page in support of a theory that a bespeckled Paul is in a photo of a Quarrymen performance a few days earlier than the famed July 6, 1957 date.

I came back to this thread looking for a photo of Paul wearing glasses. And it reminded me to put this question out there: now that we (many of us, anyway) have read Mark Lewisohn’s claim that Paul and John had met at a local newsstand before the fete, does that influence whether or not you think that might be Paul in the picture? 

parlance

Beware of sadness. It can hit you. It can hurt you. Make you sore and what is more, that is not what you are here for. - George

Check out my fan video for Paul's song "Appreciate" at Vimeo or YouTube.

5 July 2014
6.23am
JauntyMonty
Decca
Members
Forum Posts: 93

George having a little drink with his mother :)

Image Enlarger

"Something in the way she moves . . . attracts me like a pomegranate" - George Harrison

6 July 2014
3.06am
beatlepedia
Casbah Coffee Club
Members
Forum Posts: 19

I found this pic of John, age eleven, and his cousin Mike, age four, in Mendips, circa 1951. This one was new to me. Anyone have seen it?John-age-eleven-and-Mike-age-four-circa-1951..jpgImage Enlarger

The following people thank beatlepedia for this post:

Ahhh Girl
6 July 2014
3.54am
Ron Nasty
Apple rooftop
Members

Reviewers

Great find, @beatlepedia! That’s a new one on me! (And not a lot is!)

The Beatles Bible 2020 non-Canon Poll Part One: 1958-1963 and Part Two: 1964-August 1966

6 July 2014
4.41am
beatlepedia
Casbah Coffee Club
Members
Forum Posts: 19

@Ron Nasty, i find two more pics of this same day, look!John-age-eleven-and-Mike-age-four-circa-1951.-1.jpgImage Enlarger

John-age-eleven-and-Mike-age-four-circa-1951.-2.jpgImage Enlarger

The following people thank beatlepedia for this post:

Ahhh Girl
6 July 2014
5.27am
Ron Nasty
Apple rooftop
Members

Reviewers

@beatlepedia Now thata-hard-days-night-ringo-8 is just showing off! Love the first of those two!!!!

10 September 2014
8.47pm
Oyster Black Pearl
Liverpool, UK
London Palladium
Members
Forum Posts: 126

I’m sure you’ve all seen these type of ‘ghost images’ before? The merging of old photos with the same location today. It’s of the Boys upstairs at the Childwall Abbey Hotel, I think it was the wedding reception of someone in George’s family (sister?) This is from a Facebook page – Liverpool Then And Now – this chap’s been doing these for a few years now, they’re stunning.

quarrymen.jpgImage Enlarger

At last a book about Ringo and drumming.”

Ringo Starr And The Beatles Beat

10 September 2014
10.25pm
Billy Rhythm
Shea Stadium
Members
Forum Posts: 953

Ron Nasty said

fabfouremily said
I’m still not convinced it’s him though.

I’m not convinced it’s him either, but I’m not sure it isn’t. Here’s a blow-up of that part of the picture:

Quarrymen-mccartney-detail.jpgImage Enlarger

It’d be a great question to ask Paul on the ‘You Gave Me The Answer’ feature of his website, I say it’s him, they definitely look to be the same ears if you look closely, we’re just not used to seeing Paul wearing glasses from this angle, the nose, mouth & chin are the same in both photos as well…:-)

10 September 2014
10.45pm
meanmistermustard
Thankfully not where I am.
Members

Reviewers

Moderators
Forum Posts: 24958

a-hard-days-night-ringo-8No chance of such a question being asked never mind answered on Pauls website, they like hard hitting questions such as “where do buy your socks” and “what is your favourite type of tea?”. If feeling generous we might get “where do you get your song ideas from”, a question we’ve heard the answer to since 1963.

The following people thank meanmistermustard for this post:

Bulldog

"I told you everything I could about me, Told you everything I could" ('Before Believing' - Emmylou Harris)

10 September 2014
10.55pm
parlance
Slaggers
Apple rooftop
Members

Also, if Paul is invested in the story that he and John didn’t formally cross paths until July 6, 1957 as Mark Lewisohn seems to believe, I doubt he’d admit to it being him.

parlance

Beware of sadness. It can hit you. It can hurt you. Make you sore and what is more, that is not what you are here for. - George

11 September 2014
1.00am
Billy Rhythm
Shea Stadium
Members
Forum Posts: 953

I guess what’s puzzling to me is how everyone seems to be “on the fence” here on whether it’s him or not, I mean, which facial feature exactly doesn’t look like Paul?  The chances of somebody else having Paul’s chin, ears, mouth & nose (and hairdo, although to be fair a lot of young lads wore their hair like this back then) and being present at a Quarrymen gig have got to be astronomically small, to say the least.  Is this just another case of “Mark Lewisohn said so”?  He’s been proven to be wrong on more than one occasion and this looks to be yet another good example of why his writings shouldn’t always be taken as Gospel and should be put under the same scrutiny as any other Beatle “expert”.  You’ve all seen pictures of Paul McCartney from just about every stage of his life, how do you not recognize him here?!…:-)

11 September 2014
1.09am
parlance
Slaggers
Apple rooftop
Members
100sp_Permalink sp_Print

Who said anything about Mark Lewisohn having an opinion on this? Some people have looked at the photos and think it doesn’t look like him, is all. I’m not one of them, but, seriously, calm down.

parlance

Forum Timezone: Europe/London
Most Users Ever Online: 700
Currently Online:
Guest(s) 1
Top Posters:
Starr Shine?: 16105
Ron Nasty: 12534
Zig: 9832
50yearslate: 8759
Necko: 8043
AppleScruffJunior: 7583
parlance: 7111
mr. Sun king coming together: 6402
Mr. Kite: 6147
trcanberra: 6064
Member Stats:
Guest Posters: 88
Members: 2856
Moderators: 5
Admins: 1
Forum Stats:
Groups: 3
Forums: 44
Topics: 5515
Newest Members:
nickygrangery, pmolsen, thebeatlesshow, Boy Im Gonna Carry That Weight, Something
Moderators: Joe: 5691, meanmistermustard: 24958, Ahhh Girl: 22221, Beatlebug: 18182, The Hole Got Fixed: 8410
Administrators: Joe: 5691