Please consider registering
sp_LogInOut Log Insp_Registration Register
Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
sp_Feed sp_TopicIcon
What Are You Eating Right Now?
19 December 2016
8.59am
Ron Nasty
Apple rooftop
Members

Reviewers
Forum Posts: 12534
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
2061sp_Permalink sp_Print

Have to completely disagree, @Ahhh Girl.

I didn’t like the post(s) in question. I would not have made either. Especially after I had made it completely clear I was joking about the peacock even had people not followed the link I’d made to where I spoke about a peacock.

I would suggest that one of the major problems around the discussion of meat-eating and animal welfare is to do with meat eaters increasingly wanting to disguise where it comes from.

Had I a live peacock to deal with, I’d know exactly what to do.

My next-door neighbour kept chickens when I was a child, and I often helped preparing them, gutting my first bird at the age of eight, and finding myself at the discovery of an egg mid-formed.

I am not pretending this stuff is always pleasant.

However, to suggest the conversation I started should have been held by PM is to suggest I would/should have known it would result in the post(s) that people object to.

If no part of vegetarianism is not to discussed, and I am sure that no vegetable eater would want to ban any such discussion, then why should any meat-eater be objected to for publicly having a tongue-in-cheek reference to meat farming?

If that’s honestly how he gets his meat, and thinks it should be done by everyone that way, we’d have problems.

As I said previously, not the kind of conversation I believe @Joe would ban, or ask to be moved to PM – and I suggest this knowing Joe is a vegetarian.

Discussing how animals are, and could be killed, along with the rights and wrongs, from my own point of view is something never to not be openly discussed…

How can you argue that one side of the debate should be restricted to private conversation only…

The brutality of the worst examples are only exposed by the open discussion, and objections to, the worst examples.

How do we change the worst if we don’t publicly voice it, but rather asked for it to be spoken of behind closed curtains.

You don’t change anything by having like-minded conversations with people in private who agree, change comes from talking about things loudly in public…

I have been somebody who, as some here know, has bought up the idea of advisories on certain threads, and seen how defeating that is…

Surely, for vegetarians, a meat-eater revealing an obscene method of obtaining meat is all gist tp their meal…

Sometimes you may find things you don’t want to read, but I’d say don’t read rather then decide if I should be allowed to when we are speaking about subjects that are in no way questionable…

I don’t like the view above that I think is the real problem one, and that method of animal butchery would see the individual jailed in the UK… But isn’t that the point? Someone being allowed to say something, suggest a course of action, only to have their fellows object…

How do people grow if all the details of life they’d rather not know about are restricted to PM?

The following people thank Ron Nasty for this post:

Evangeline, Little Piggy Dragonguy, Beatlebug

"I only said we were bigger than Rod... and now there's all this!" Ron Nasty

To @ Ron Nasty it's @ mja6758
The Beatles Bible 2020 non-Canon Poll Part One: 1958-1963 and Part Two: 1964-August 1966

19 December 2016
9.04am
Ahhh Girl
sailing on a winedark open sea

Moderators

Members

Reviewers
Forum Posts: 22240
2062sp_Permalink sp_Print

I didn’t say PM. I said a thread *on the forum* where discussions like this would be more appropriate.

The following people thank Ahhh Girl for this post:

The Hippie Chick
19 December 2016
9.07am
Starr Shine?
Waiting in the sky
Apple rooftop
Members
Forum Posts: 16105
2063sp_Permalink sp_Print

Ahhh Girl is talking about making another thread not putting this in PM.

My worry is that an argument or people talking more about the existence of the thread and blow things out of preportion, the thread will be locked, then it can never be talked about agian.

https://youtu.be/52nwiTs7bk8

Brainwashed by RadiantCowbells.

If you can't log in and can't use the forum go here and someone will help you out.

19 December 2016
9.08am
Ahhh Girl

Moderators

Members

Reviewers
2064sp_Permalink sp_Print

Moving this to a more appropriate place. Please discuss in Impossible to Derail.

Starr Shine?, The Hole Got Fixed
19 December 2016
9.15am
Ahhh Girl

Moderators

Members

Reviewers
2065sp_Permalink sp_Print

If any more “debate” posts are made here, I will move them to Impossible to Derail.

19 December 2016
9.43am
Ahhh Girl

Moderators

Members

Reviewers
2066sp_Permalink sp_Print

I’m out of this. I asked for the conversation to be moved. Joe or one of the other mods will handle it from here.

BTW, we have a thread for vegetarian talk if anyone is interested.

19 December 2016
9.47am
AppleScruffJunior
Sitting here doing nothing but procrastinating...
Apple rooftop
Reviewers

Members
Forum Posts: 7583
2067sp_Permalink sp_Print

Mmmmmmmmmmm mashed carrots (yes I do eat food fit for a toddler- deal with it!).

INTROVERTS UNITE! Separately....in your own homes!

Make Love, Not Wardrobes!

"Stop throwing jelly beans at me"- George Harrison

19 December 2016
10.01am
Joe
Pepperland
Admin
Forum Posts: 5694
2068sp_Permalink sp_Print

Please don’t turn this into another inward-looking what-should-this-topic-be-for topic. The purpose is very clear. @Ahhh Girl tried to get it back on target, and was ignored, which isn’t helpful.

To save me locking it, please stay on topic. If you want to discuss animal welfare or any other side issue, start another thread or find a relevant one that already exists. Please don’t debate this further here; it’s not the place for it.

stay-on-topic

Can buy me love! Please consider supporting the Beatles Bible on Amazon
Or buy my paperback/ebook! Riding So High – The Beatles and Drugs

Don't miss The Bowie Bible – now live!

19 December 2016
10.42am
Ron Nasty
Apple rooftop
Members

Reviewers
2069sp_Permalink sp_Print

This has been, until now, a thread in which food has been discussed.

No discussion in this thread, that I can recall, has been shut down.

So, meat eaters cannot discuss the way in which their food – at its best and worst – is produced in the food thread?

Much as I love @Ahhh Girl, I think you are wrong?

One person is over 2000 posts makes a dodgy comment, which has been challenged, and you shut down the conversation.

The original objection asked for such comments to be PM-only. You may not have, but you said you agreed with the original objector.

There is a lot of talk about food prep in this thread, including how to handle meat? Is animal butchery now excluded from this thread, although it has been discussed in this thread before?

There was a post in the conversation I was very uncomfortable with, a post that rightly caused reaction, but you deal with that post and don’t damn the whole of an obviously jokey conversation.

Move or delete as you wish, AG, suspend my posting rights, but I’m saying this in this thread.

You’re saying a discussion about food doesn’t belong in the thread about food.

I did not like the post objected to, had I been a mod I might have felt obligated to privately point out to the poster that good chance of offending people and could they please not.

I think we should all know where our food comes from, while condemning cruel treatment of animals, as happened in this example.

Important as I think this is, especially for those of us who eat meat, and since I’ll happily pay a bit more for good welfare meat, I am going to talk much more in this thread about the journey to the plate unless @Joe requests I don’t.

You need to be able to talk honestly about food. This is the food thread (unless I’ve been moved again!). One thing about talking about food is that you should be able to come up with your own food preparation techniques and tips, which includes butchery, and shouldn’t feel restricted by an objection to Sam Peckinpah’s Billy the Kid blasting chicken heads off.

Billy the Kid’s form of butchery, I advise against.

How can you talk about what’s good in a subject without what’s worst creeping in? And if you say condemning worst practice belongs somewhere else, somewhere that those who look only for best practice would never see it, I humbly have to disagree.

Food is discussed in this thread. Otherwise there would be no post in this thread that said anything but “I am eating right now…”

Every other post would be out of context. Yet, about 3/4 are discussion of what somebody ate, many of which respond to and discuss meat and meat prep…

Again, respond to a distasteful post and that poster, but animal butchery done at it’s best, and shown up at its worst, should always be allowed in this food thread. At least, IMO…

The Beatles Bible 2020 non-Canon Poll Part One: 1958-1963 and Part Two: 1964-August 1966

19 December 2016
10.51am
William Shears Campbell
Somewhere In The Black Mountain Hills Of Utah
Rishikesh
Members
Forum Posts: 3629

I tried to derail the pecock thing with my comment about ribs, because it was getting heated.  That obviously failed.

Anyway I’m currently eating lucky charms.

The following people thank William Shears Campbell for this post:

The Hippie Chick, The Hole Got Fixed, WeepingAtlasCedars, Beatlebug

Here | There | Everywhere

It's ya boi!  The one and only Billy Shears (AKA Paul's Replacement)

"Sometimes I wish I was just George Harrison" - John Lennon

19 December 2016
10.58am
Ron Nasty
Apple rooftop
Members

Reviewers
2071sp_Permalink sp_Print

Hell, @William Shears Campbell! I tried ending it when I said I’m allergic to peanuts and Tiddles, my incontinent arthritic pet cat of 30 years, was actually a stuffed toy…

19 December 2016
10.59am
AppleScruffJunior
Sitting here doing nothing but procrastinating...
Apple rooftop
Reviewers

Members
Forum Posts: 7583
2072sp_Permalink sp_Print

Obligatory I am a vegetarian, I don’t care how people eat their meat, if they eat meat, how their meat got to their plate etc. so long as they don’t try to make me eat meat. People will eat meat, I can’t stop them so meh.

Continue eating meat, you omnivores you!

INTROVERTS UNITE! Separately....in your own homes!

Make Love, Not Wardrobes!

"Stop throwing jelly beans at me"- George Harrison

19 December 2016
11.13am
Ron Nasty
Apple rooftop
Members

Reviewers
2073sp_Permalink sp_Print

@Joe  said
Please don’t turn this into another inward-looking what-should-this-topic-be-for topic. The purpose is very clear. @Ahhh Girl tried to get it back on target, and was ignored, which isn’t helpful.

I suggest this thread is read back through. There is much discussion about the rights and wrongs along the path it’s wended up to here.

It only becomes “another inward-looking what-should-this-topic-be-for topic” if mods start dictating what it isn’t for. If this thread is meant to stick to its title, then I’m sorry, because of the 2000+ posts, I’d suggest well less than half say what someone is eating, while the rest is discussing, and asking for – and giving – tips and advice… or else salivating…

19 December 2016
11.14am
William Shears Campbell
Somewhere In The Black Mountain Hills Of Utah
Rishikesh
Members
Forum Posts: 3629
2074sp_Permalink sp_Print

@AppleScruffJunior said
Obligatory I am a vegetarian, I don’t care how people eat their meat, if they eat meat, how their meat got to their plate etc. so long as they don’t try to make me eat meat. People will eat meat, I can’t stop them so meh.

Continue eating meat, you omnivores you!  

Same to you, you vegetarian you!

Also I agree with @Ron Nasty that the public shouldn’t be censored, but I do agree that this was not the proper place to get into a heated discussion on animal rights.  I’ve said it before I do think we need s debate thread to discuss contartial topics.  Anyway let’s try to get back on topic.stay-on-topic

Here | There | Everywhere

It's ya boi!  The one and only Billy Shears (AKA Paul's Replacement)

"Sometimes I wish I was just George Harrison" - John Lennon

19 December 2016
11.35am
Starr Shine?
Waiting in the sky
Apple rooftop
Members
Forum Posts: 16105
2075sp_Permalink sp_Print

Probably gonna eat a bagel. With cream cheese.

The following people thank Starr Shine? for this post:

William Shears Campbell, The Hippie Chick, The Hole Got Fixed, WeepingAtlasCedars

https://youtu.be/52nwiTs7bk8

Brainwashed by RadiantCowbells.

If you can't log in and can't use the forum go here and someone will help you out.

19 December 2016
12.27pm
Shamrock Womlbs
Waiting for the van to come
Rishikesh
Members
Forum Posts: 3975
2076sp_Permalink sp_Print

Chorizo with bread ( aka bocadillo de chorizo)

"I Need You by George Harrison"

19 December 2016
12.34pm
Ahhh Girl

Moderators

Members

Reviewers
2077sp_Permalink sp_Print

Tootsie Rolls. Yum, chocolate.

The Hippie Chick
19 December 2016
1.05pm
The Hippie Chick
Counting the holes in Blackburn, Lancashire
Candlestick Park
Members
Forum Posts: 1387
2078sp_Permalink sp_Print

Ahhh Girl said
Tootsie Rolls. Yum, chocolate.  

YASS! I’m having a Hershey Kiss or two right now in fact. LOL!!

Just got back from Barnes & Noble where there’s a Starbucks and totally had a Peppermint Mocha Frapp while browsing. 

The following people thank The Hippie Chick for this post:

Ahhh Girl

“She wasn't doing a thing that I could see, except standing there leaning on the balcony railing, holding the universe together.”  - J.D. Salinger

19 December 2016
1.08pm
The Hippie Chick
Counting the holes in Blackburn, Lancashire
Candlestick Park
Members
Forum Posts: 1387
2079sp_Permalink sp_Print

William Shears Campbell said
I tried to derail the pecock thing with my comment about ribs, because it was getting heated.  That obviously failed.

Anyway I’m currently eating lucky charms.  

Ooooh… always a good time for some Lucky Charms! They’re magically delicious!! Haha!! paul-mccartney-thumb_gif

“She wasn't doing a thing that I could see, except standing there leaning on the balcony railing, holding the universe together.”  - J.D. Salinger

19 December 2016
2.32pm
Expert Textpert
In bed.
Apple rooftop
Members
Forum Posts: 5012
2080sp_Permalink sp_Print

Just finished some banana chips dipped in maple almond butter.

"If you're ever in the shit, grab my tit.” —Paul McCartney 

Forum Timezone: Europe/London
Most Users Ever Online: 700
Currently Online:
Guest(s) 1
Top Posters:
Starr Shine?: 16105
Ron Nasty: 12534
Zig: 9832
50yearslate: 8759
Necko: 8043
AppleScruffJunior: 7583
parlance: 7111
mr. Sun king coming together: 6402
Mr. Kite: 6147
trcanberra: 6064
Member Stats:
Guest Posters: 88
Members: 2862
Moderators: 5
Admins: 1
Forum Stats:
Groups: 3
Forums: 44
Topics: 5520
Newest Members:
zerosprite, rover, rainontuesday, 9intheafternoon, NJtoTX
Moderators: Joe: 5694, meanmistermustard: 24964, Ahhh Girl: 22240, Beatlebug: 18182, The Hole Got Fixed: 8410
Administrators: Joe: 5694