Please consider registering
sp_LogInOut Log Insp_Registration Register
Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
sp_Feed sp_TopicIcon
The "Incredibly Impossible to Derail This Thread" thread
6 February 2015
12.57pm
Joe
Pepperland
Admin
Forum Posts: 5694
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
10921sp_Permalink sp_Print

@Ahhh Girl 

I’m from Bath, and my dad lives quite close to Stonehenge (in a proper house, not in some neolithic mud hut).

Bath is very beautiful, and worth spending more time in than Stonehenge. There’s simply not that much to see in Stonehenge, whereas in Bath you can spend a good few hours wandering around the Roman Baths, Royal Crescent, Circus, Assembly Rooms, the city centre etc, followed by lunch in the Raven pub and a teacake at Sally Lunn’s. My recommendation would be to make your way to Bath and join the tour there if you can.

I haven’t been up close to the stones. I wasn’t even aware that they did close-up tours – they never had them when I was younger. Whether you need to touch them probably depends on your affinity with paganism and ley lines, or a desire to reenact the denouement of Tess of the d’Urbervilles.

If you’re planning on changing your visit, September would almost certainly be better for the weather.

(Thanks @ewe2, I’ve got Spinal Tap in my head now too! We habitually call it Stone’enge in our house.)

Stones and stones:

Image Enlarger

The following people thank Joe for this post:

parlance, Ahhh Girl

Can buy me love! Please consider supporting the Beatles Bible on Amazon
Or buy my paperback/ebook! Riding So High – The Beatles and Drugs

Don't miss The Bowie Bible – now live!

6 February 2015
5.52pm
AppleScruffJunior
Sitting here doing nothing but procrastinating...
Apple rooftop
Reviewers

Members
Forum Posts: 7583
10922sp_Permalink sp_Print

Well I’ve just had an awful 2 minutes, I’m home alone because my mam is gone to a funeral and Dad and my brother are in Scotland so I have the house to myself ’til around 9ish. A man rang the doorbell and I went into automatic ‘there is nobody at home mode’ mainly because:

1) Stranger Danger

2) I’m in my pyjamas 

Anyhoo, I crept to the kitchen window to look out to see if it was a friend or someone I knew and the man looked right back at me paul-mccartney I had a terrible experience when I was 5ish where I was at home because I was sick and a delivery man came. I was lying on the couch, watching ‘Bear and the Big Blue House’ or something along those lines and the man knocked on the backdoor, course I didn’t answer it (look back to reason 1). He then came and knocked on the kitchen window!! He could see me as the blinds were open and I remember diving under the table and shivering until he left- I believe it’s traumastised me!

So in conclusion: ASJ will not answer the door if she’s home alone and not expecting anyone.

INTROVERTS UNITE! Separately....in your own homes!

Make Love, Not Wardrobes!

"Stop throwing jelly beans at me"- George Harrison

6 February 2015
7.13pm
Ron Nasty
Apple rooftop
Members

Reviewers
Forum Posts: 12534
10923sp_Permalink sp_Print

@AppleScruffJunior said

ASJ will not answer the door if she’s home alone and not expecting anyone.

I’m exactly the same, and am very rarely expecting anyone, so the door is almost never answered. How can one be a good introvert if you’re opening the door to strangers?

@Ahhh Girl It seems no-one here has been to Stonehenge since its revamp (including me). I am aware that it is a very different place to when I was last there, which was some years ago when they started allowing access to the Stones on the Solstice again. I used to go a lot in the ’80s when I was younger, more hippy-ish and more extrovert. As a 17/18-year-old I was caught up in the infamous “Battle of the Beanfield”.

Anyway, until the revamp, Stonehenge was pretty grotty to be honest, trapped between two main roads and totally divorced from its environment.

STONEHENGE_badroad.jpgImage Enlarger

The bottom road in the picture is now closed, and slowly being returned to grass (don’t know how far along the process is). There’s a shiny new visitor centre some distance away, and a little shuttle “land train” that takes you to the Stones and the wider landscape that has been opened up.

I would check what you actually get access to on the tour, as I’m aware English Heritage do not allow access to the Stones during normal opening hours on the access tickets they sell (which are for before they open and after they close) and state that certain things are not available.

However, English Heritage access tickets do allow you visit to earlier in the day for no extra cost to explore the site more fully. Independent you might to decide to book directly, travel to Salisbury from Bath, and then take a cab to the Henge (about ten miles), giving yourself the chance to see all you want, with access to the Stones at the end, booking the cab to pick you up at the end of your access timeslot.

The next stage in the redevelopment will be the burying of the top road in a sunken tunnel to completely return the Henge to its natural landscape.

The following people thank Ron Nasty for this post:

Ahhh Girl

"I only said we were bigger than Rod... and now there's all this!" Ron Nasty

To @ Ron Nasty it's @ mja6758
The Beatles Bible 2020 non-Canon Poll Part One: 1958-1963 and Part Two: 1964-August 1966

6 February 2015
7.38pm
Expert Textpert
In bed.
Apple rooftop
Members
Forum Posts: 5012
10924sp_Permalink sp_Print

AppleScruffJunior said

Well I’ve just had an awful 2 minutes, I’m home alone because my mam is gone to a funeral and Dad and my brother are in Scotland so I have the house to myself ’til around 9ish. A man rang the doorbell and I went into automatic ‘there is nobody at home mode’ mainly because:

1) Stranger Danger

2) I’m in my pyjamas 

Anyhoo, I crept to the kitchen window to look out to see if it was a friend or someone I knew and the man looked right back at me paul-mccartney I had a terrible experience when I was 5ish where I was at home because I was sick and a delivery man came. I was lying on the couch, watching ‘Bear and the Big Blue House’ or something along those lines and the man knocked on the backdoor, course I didn’t answer it (look back to reason 1). He then came and knocked on the kitchen window!! He could see me as the blinds were open and I remember diving under the table and shivering until he left- I believe it’s traumastised me!

So in conclusion: ASJ will not answer the door if she’s home alone and not expecting anyone.

Neither will I.

"If you're ever in the shit, grab my tit.” —Paul McCartney 

6 February 2015
11.06pm
parlance
Slaggers
Apple rooftop
Members
Forum Posts: 7111
10925sp_EditHistory sp_Permalink sp_Print

In the home stretch of the current Photoshop class. One more assignment due next week.

A couple of recent assignments I turned in:

Coloring in line art our professor provided and creating a comic book cover (we usually have to turn in two variations of each assignment):

hipster-warrior.jpgImage Enlarger

hipster-princess.jpgImage Enlarger

We had to do some retouching, so I went the range of natural to ridiculous:

ellis_ejo-retouch.jpgImage Enlarger

And a book with a folded page – photos by me, text by Wikipedia. :-)

vasquez-1.jpgImage Enlarger

vasquez-2.jpgImage Enlarger

We also had to restore an old photo, so I chose one of my mother. And we had cartoonize a photo of ourselves, which I enjoyed doing. I might try it out on a couple of Beatley photos next.

parlance

The following people thank parlance for this post:

trcanberra, Starr Shine?, Oudis, Zig

Beware of sadness. It can hit you. It can hurt you. Make you sore and what is more, that is not what you are here for. - George

Check out my fan video for Paul's song "Appreciate" at Vimeo or YouTube.

6 February 2015
11.17pm
Mr. Kite
910 Penny Lane, Strawberry Fields, Pepperland
Apple rooftop
Members

Reviewers
Forum Posts: 6147
10926sp_Permalink sp_Print

Ron Nasty said

@AppleScruffJunior said

I’m exactly the same, and am very rarely expecting anyone, so the door is almost never answered. How can one be a good introvert if you’re opening the door to strangers?

I’m exactly like that as well. And there’s this one guy who keeps coming around lately, I think he does yard care or something, and he keeps knocking like he’s a friend.

Won’t trick me!

If I spoke prose you'd all find out, I don't know what I talk about.

Can buy Joe love!
If you're shopping at one of these two websites use the links below to support the Beatles Bible:

Amazon | iTunes

7 February 2015
12.00am
Starr Shine?
Waiting in the sky
Apple rooftop
Members
Forum Posts: 16105
10927sp_Permalink sp_Print

Applescruffjunior said

My friends will drop by unexpectedly so I will always look before I open.

https://youtu.be/52nwiTs7bk8

Brainwashed by RadiantCowbells.

If you can't log in and can't use the forum go here and someone will help you out.

7 February 2015
3.04am
meanmistermustard
Thankfully not where I am.
Members

Reviewers

Moderators
Forum Posts: 24964
10928sp_Permalink sp_Print

Just got an email from Tesco informing me with great glee that shopping with them instead of Asda, Sainsburys etc saved me a whole two pence. I wonder how my weekend can get any more amazing after reading that.

Party!!

23n27Tz.jpgImage Enlarger

The following people thank meanmistermustard for this post:

trcanberra, Mr. Kite

"I told you everything I could about me, Told you everything I could" ('Before Believing' - Emmylou Harris)

7 February 2015
3.37am
Ahhh Girl
sailing on a winedark open sea

Moderators

Members

Reviewers
Forum Posts: 22240
10929sp_Permalink sp_Print

^ Baby, you’re a rich man. Baby, you’re a rich man. Baby, you’re a rich man too.

I’ll use any excuse to think about that song.

On an unrelated note, the forum rankings page still has paulsbass at Candlestick Park. I guess his deleting binge didn’t bust him down the ranks.

7 February 2015
1.54pm
Starr Shine?
Waiting in the sky
Apple rooftop
Members
10930sp_Permalink sp_Print

So if some one on the top ten list got deleted, would they still be on the top ten list?

If you can't log in and can't use the forum go here and someone will help you out.

8 February 2015
5.39pm
parlance
Slaggers
Apple rooftop
Members
10931sp_EditHistory sp_Permalink sp_Print

Congrats on reaching 6K, @Starr Shine?!

Meanwhile, @Ahhh Girl will top Mr. Sun King this week.

parlance

Beware of sadness. It can hit you. It can hurt you. Make you sore and what is more, that is not what you are here for. - George

8 February 2015
5.47pm
Zig
The Toppermost of the Poppermost
Apple rooftop
Members

Reviewers
Forum Posts: 9832
10932sp_Permalink sp_Print

parlance said
 In the home stretch of the current Photoshop class. One more assignment due next week.

A couple of recent assignments I turned in:

Coloring in line art our professor provided and creating a comic book cover (we usually have to turn in two variations of each assignment):

hipster-warrior.jpgImage Enlarger

hipster-princess.jpgImage Enlarger

We had to do some retouching, so I went the range of natural to ridiculous:

ellis_ejo-retouch.jpgImage Enlarger

And a book with a folded page – photos by me, text by Wikipedia. :-)

vasquez-1.jpgImage Enlarger

vasquez-2.jpgImage Enlarger

We also had to restore an old photo, so I chose one of my mother. And we had cartoonize a photo of ourselves, which I enjoyed doing. I might try it out on a couple of Beatley photos next.

parlance

Very cool, @parlance . I always enjoy your work – thanks for sharing!

mal-evans

The following people thank Zig for this post:

parlance

To the fountain of perpetual mirth, let it roll for all its worth. And all the children boogie.

8 February 2015
6.43pm
Starr Shine?
Waiting in the sky
Apple rooftop
Members
10933sp_Permalink sp_Print

parlance said
Congrats on reaching 6K, Annadog40!

Meanwhile, Ahhh Girl will top Mr. Sun King this week.

parlance

Thanks! I didn’t even notice it

The following people thank Starr Shine? for this post:

parlance

8 February 2015
8.12pm
Necko
Earth
Apple rooftop
Members
Forum Posts: 8043
10934sp_Permalink sp_Print

I opened up a bottle of Jones Soda, and the little inspirational message under the cap was “Stop Smoking.” What the hell kinda inspirational message is that? That’s like opening up a fortune cookie and having your fortune be “lose some weight.”

The following people thank Necko for this post:

AbbeyRoadRage

I'm Necko.  I'm like Ringo except I wear necklaces.

I'm also ewe2 on weekends.

Most likely to post things that make you go hmm... 2015, 2016, 2017. 

8 February 2015
9.02pm
parlance
Slaggers
Apple rooftop
Members
10935sp_Permalink sp_Print

Necko said
I opened up a bottle of Jones Soda, and the little inspirational message under the cap was “Stop Smoking.” What the hell kinda inspirational message is that? That’s like opening up a fortune cookie and having your fortune be “lose some weight.”

Or opening the bottle and it says, “stop drinking soda, it’s bad for you.” :-D

parlance

Zig, Necko

8 February 2015
9.17pm
Zig
The Toppermost of the Poppermost
Apple rooftop
Members

Reviewers
Forum Posts: 9832
10936sp_Permalink sp_Print

@parlance what is the significance of the number 447 on your Hipster’s armband? Does it have anything to do with the symbol to the right of the number?

The following people thank Zig for this post:

parlance

To the fountain of perpetual mirth, let it roll for all its worth. And all the children boogie.

8 February 2015
9.48pm
parlance
Slaggers
Apple rooftop
Members
10937sp_EditHistory sp_Permalink sp_Print

Zig said
parlance what is the significance of the number 447 on your Hipster’s armband? Does it have anything to do with the symbol to the right of the number?

Don’t know what the original artist was thinking, but I’m going to say it’s the time she heads over to the bar every day to grab a PBR.

parlance

Zig

8 February 2015
10.12pm
parlance
Slaggers
Apple rooftop
Members
10938sp_EditHistory sp_Permalink sp_Print

Absolute 60s radio has been removed from most of the cities where it was broadcasting, and now the online formats are really wonky, petering in and out. It’s time for Beatles Brunch and I’m not happy. :-(

parlance

9 February 2015
12.54pm
Mr. Kite
910 Penny Lane, Strawberry Fields, Pepperland
Apple rooftop
Members

Reviewers
Forum Posts: 6147
10939sp_Permalink sp_Print

@Starr Shine? You’re still goin’!

Image Enlarger

The following people thank Mr. Kite for this post:

Starr Shine?

If I spoke prose you'd all find out, I don't know what I talk about.

Can buy Joe love!
If you're shopping at one of these two websites use the links below to support the Beatles Bible:

Amazon | iTunes

9 February 2015
12.56pm
Starr Shine?
Waiting in the sky
Apple rooftop
Members
10940sp_Permalink sp_Print

ahdn_paul_06 Remember back when we had a similar post count?

The following people thank Starr Shine? for this post:

Mr. Kite

Forum Timezone: Europe/London
Most Users Ever Online: 700
Currently Online:
Guest(s) 1
Top Posters:
Starr Shine?: 16105
Ron Nasty: 12534
Zig: 9832
50yearslate: 8759
Necko: 8043
AppleScruffJunior: 7583
parlance: 7111
mr. Sun king coming together: 6402
Mr. Kite: 6147
trcanberra: 6064
Member Stats:
Guest Posters: 88
Members: 2862
Moderators: 5
Admins: 1
Forum Stats:
Groups: 3
Forums: 44
Topics: 5520
Newest Members:
rover, rainontuesday, 9intheafternoon, NJtoTX, seo mavia
Moderators: Joe: 5694, meanmistermustard: 24964, Ahhh Girl: 22240, Beatlebug: 18182, The Hole Got Fixed: 8410
Administrators: Joe: 5694