Please consider registering
sp_LogInOut Log Insp_Registration Register
Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
sp_Feed sp_TopicIcon
The All-Purpose Getting-To-Know-BBers Questions Thread
20 August 2019
2.09pm
AppleScruffJunior
Sitting here doing nothing but procrastinating...
Apple rooftop
Reviewers

Members
Forum Posts: 7583
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

Dark Overlord said

AppleScruffJunior said

I’m okay-ish with the term British Isles but I wouldn’t actually recommend saying to an Irish people that they live in the British Isles. You will get effed and blinded at, and depending on who you say it to, you might get a punch in the gob. A lot of people take it to apply that Ireland is still part of the UK, when as we all know, we’re a beautiful Republic 😉

It’s a shame people feel that way because the British Isles is a geographical term, as opposed to a political one.

Ireland’s relationship with Britain for hundreds of years has been tense, leading to violence many, many times. Thousands of Irish people have been killed by Britons (and vice versa, of course) because of that tense relationship, so you can understand why, now that the Republic is a free country that many people don’t like the term ‘British Isles’, it implies Britain still owns us (which a lot of people still think the ROI is a part of the UK, I’ve had to explain this in practically every European country I’ve gone to). 

For Norn Iron, another stereotype is “backwards”- which isn’t a stereotype ’cause it’s actually true ahahahaha, I’m sorry Norn Ironers please don’t hit me. They also OBSESS over flags or as it’s said in a Nordie accent “fleg”. Flags are bloody everywhere, must be a sad life if your personality is built on the Union Flag or the Irish Republic flag.

Ironic considering they don’t have an official flag.

They have their own flag of sorts, you see the Ulster Banner quite a bit, which was the NI’s governement’s flag from 1953-1973. They also have their addition to the Union Flag, the Saint Patrick’s Saltire. 

[Image Can Not Be Found]

[Image Can Not Be Found]

Hating Northern Irish people: I hate stupid Unionist Northern Irish, I hate Republican Northern Irish, the majority of Nordies are neither. All of the ones I have met have been nice people, the only thing is they talk funny, with their sing-song accents.

I’m glad the tensions between the 2 countries are loosening up.

The vast, vast majority of people don’t give two tosses about the idea of ‘us’ and ‘them’. They think the IRA are idiots and Unionists are idiots. I’ve never heard anybody say anti-Norn Iron comments or pro-IRA comments in earnest, they’ve all been in jokey, comical manner. 

The New IRA have been raising their filthy heads again, setting a bomb off yesterday with what appears to have been intent to kill the police and Anti-Terrorism Officers. They killed Lyra McKee earlier this year which RN detailed in the news thread. I haven’t seen any approval online or amongst the people I know.

Everyone is fed up with violence, Northern Ireland has been destroyed enough and especially as tourists are now trusting it as a ‘safe place’ to go to again, for these asses to go and flare-up violence yet again, could destroy the only sector that NI has; tourism. No one has time or respect for those sad losers and if they could just feck off and go get a life, that would be great, rather than trying to blow up innocent men and women just going around doing their job.

The Provo IRA was “fighting” for almost 30 years during The Troubles and achieved nothing, 3,500 people on both sides were killed- 52% of them civilians, and yet these fools in the New IRA think they can actually achieve something and “win back the six”. 

INTROVERTS UNITE! Separately....in your own homes!

Make Love, Not Wardrobes!

"Stop throwing jelly beans at me"- George Harrison

20 August 2019
4.03pm
Beatlebug
Find me where ye echo lays

Moderators
Forum Posts: 18182
5582sp_Permalink sp_Print

50yearslate said
a-hard-days-night-ringo-8That is true. While there’s a significant difference between a Boston accent and a southern accent, you could put someone from California and someone from, say, Michigan next to each other and chances are I wouldn’t be able to hear any difference between their accents.  

I would. People from Michigan often have a strong Midwestern accent (they say ‘ya’ a lot), while Californians are very diverse but a lot of ’em valley-talk and abuse the word ‘like’. (At least that’s the stereotype.) When speaking of standard American, I was referring more to non-rural places in states like Maryland or Washington, or metropolitan centers such as Charlotte (NC). Generally speaking, less rural areas tend to have more homogenized accents.

([{BRACKETS!}])
New to Forumpool? You can introduce yourself here.
If you love The Beatles Bible, and you have adblock, don't forget to white-list this site!
whiteheart.png
avatar_creative_signature_Hmm.pngStarSpangledBanner.png

20 August 2019
4.12pm
50yearslate
Playing on the roofs again
Apple rooftop
Members
Forum Posts: 8759
5583sp_Permalink sp_Print

What’s ‘valley-talk?’

And for the record, not all Californians talk like a stereotypical teenage girl a-hard-days-night-george-10

The following people thank 50yearslate for this post:

The Hole Got Fixed

Love one another.

- - -

(I'm Fiddy, not Walrian)

- - -

2018:IMG_3980.PNG 2019: 00A040E0-7F67-413C-9CAB-AB4C27EB864A.png 2020:offtopic.png

20 August 2019
4.17pm
AppleScruffJunior
Sitting here doing nothing but procrastinating...
Apple rooftop
Reviewers

Members
Forum Posts: 7583
5584sp_Permalink sp_Print

I’m just going to creep in here and say American women (it’s always American, have never met a non-American with it) AND vocal fry- ohmysweetmotheroflordjesusican’tlistentoit.

The following people thank AppleScruffJunior for this post:

Beatlebug

INTROVERTS UNITE! Separately....in your own homes!

Make Love, Not Wardrobes!

"Stop throwing jelly beans at me"- George Harrison

20 August 2019
4.53pm
Beatlebug

Moderators
5585sp_Permalink sp_Print

50yearslate said
What’s ‘valley-talk?’

And for the record, not all Californians talk like a stereotypical teenage girl a-hard-days-night-george-10  

I know they don’t. a-hard-days-night-paul-11 Valley talk is mentioned in the vid ASJ linked above… speaking of which:

AppleScruffJunior said
I’m just going to creep in here and say American women (it’s always American, have never met a non-American with it) AND vocal fry- ohmysweetmotheroflordjesusican’tlistentoit.

CAN’T
STAND
IT
I scrupulously avoid doing it a-hard-days-night-paul-3

([{BRACKETS!}])
If you love The Beatles Bible, and you have adblock, don't forget to white-list this site!
whiteheart.png

20 August 2019
6.41pm
50yearslate
Apple rooftop
Members
5586sp_Permalink sp_Print

Huh. I just looked up valley talk and that’s basically what I was referring to with the teenage girl comment.

For the record, while I am familiar with valley talk, I do not valley-talk unless I’m making fun of it. Although I’ll be the first to admit I do say ‘like’ more often than I should. 

Beatlebug

Love one another.

- - -

(I'm Fiddy, not Walrian)

- - -

2018:IMG_3980.PNG 2019: 00A040E0-7F67-413C-9CAB-AB4C27EB864A.png 2020:offtopic.png

20 August 2019
6.56pm
ewe2
Inside the beat
Rishikesh
Members
Forum Posts: 3025

The Hole Got Fixed said
That’s a very good point @ewe2 – your accent plays a major factor into the national stereotype, particularly the Australian one. I have one of the most cultivated accents at school, though I actually only have a general accent.

Most people are a mixture anyway. Living in Queensland dramatically changed my accent to General and partially Broad but coming back to Victoria it’s recovered to Cultivated/General, but occasionally I catch myself saying something Broad! Often can’t help saying bayngk instead of bank.

Speaking of you being in the ‘Under’ class – how’s everything going? Has a miracle happened with your eyes?

No miracles, started rehabilitation, I had to get my GP to do a referral. Though my stroke didn’t affect my limbs I have many of the same post-stroke recovery problems. Lots of fatigue, problems with balance, nausea, inability to think clearly, etc.  It seemed to be getting worse, not better, and not being able to read properly was the least of my concerns. So we’ll try a bunch of things and see how it goes, it’s going to take years.

Also vocal fry sucks. I’m always reminded of it at the beginning of Sir Mix-a-lot’s I Like Big Butts, it’s an example of Valley-speak as well.

I'm like Necko only I'm a bassist ukulele guitar synthesizer kazoo penguin and also everyone. Or is everyone me? Now I'm a confused bassist ukulele guitar synthesizer kazoo penguin everyone who is definitely not @Joe.  This has been true for 2016 & 2017 Sig-Badge.png but I may have to get more specific in the future.

aus-flag-v-small.png

20 August 2019
7.04pm
The Hole Got Fixed
A Dock at Southampton

Moderators
Forum Posts: 8410
5588sp_Permalink sp_Print

I laughed so hard at reading ‘bayngk’! My condolences for spending time in Queensland!a-hard-days-night-ringo-14a-hard-days-night-george-10

That’s doesn’t sound fun at all, here’s hoping it doesn’t take too many years to recover.heart

#AppleHoley2024: Make America Great For The First Time
2016 awards: Username-Badge.png 2017 awards: The-Hole-Got-Fixed-2017.png 2018 awards:The-Hole-Got-Fixed-2018.png 2019 awards: Ringo-2019.png 2020 awards:The-Hole-Got-Fixed-2020.png 2021 awards:The-Hole-Got-Fixed-2021.png
aus-flag-v-small.png

20 August 2019
7.12pm
ewe2
Inside the beat
Rishikesh
Members

I was almost going to try using the IPA to represent it, as the page I linked shows, for a word like ‘loud’, Broad makes it sound more like ‘l??d’ or ‘lehwd’, its quite a nasal sound. Someone once said that a defining feature of Australian is an unwillingness to move your mouth at all a-hard-days-night-john-6The other thing about Queensland Australian (let’s be fair, Broad isn’t restricted to Queensland, it’s just that’s where most of them live) that visitors will notice is similar to Valley-speak called ‘rising tone’ making every sentence sound like a question? For no reason at all? Did I say something funny?

edit: ugh, no matter what I do to represent IPA symbols in HTML entities, final rendering throws up it’s hands, just pretend there’s an epsilon and a backwards c above where the question marks are.

The following people thank ewe2 for this post:

The Hole Got Fixed, Beatlebug

I'm like Necko only I'm a bassist ukulele guitar synthesizer kazoo penguin and also everyone. Or is everyone me? Now I'm a confused bassist ukulele guitar synthesizer kazoo penguin everyone who is definitely not @Joe.  This has been true for 2016 & 2017 Sig-Badge.png but I may have to get more specific in the future.

aus-flag-v-small.png

21 August 2019
12.34am
William Shears Campbell
Somewhere In The Black Mountain Hills Of Utah
Rishikesh
Members
Forum Posts: 3629

I think serving in Montana for 2 years(really only 1 1/2 years, since the first half year I was in Wyoming) made me fall more into the American stereotype.  However I’ve still held on to things that I was like before the mission.

I picture my self years down the road driving a big ol Dodge Ram (with a Cummins engine.  Hemi’s don’t belong in trucks), flying an American flag, owning a collection of guns, but then riding down the highway blasting “Give Peace A Chance ” or Strawberry Feilds Forever” or something along those lines(of course in my fancy truck), and turnin up “Pipes Of Peace ” and “All You Need Is Love “, while working in the garage, or even organizing my gun collection.

Some might think I’m confused, but maybe I just like both.  DId you ever think about that?

The following people thank William Shears Campbell for this post:

ewe2, Beatlebug, ThatWeirdBeatlesGirl, WeepingAtlasCedars

Here | There | Everywhere

It's ya boi!  The one and only Billy Shears (AKA Paul's Replacement)

"Sometimes I wish I was just George Harrison" - John Lennon

21 August 2019
7.43am
Beatlebug

Moderators
5591sp_Permalink sp_Print

Your vision kinda sounds awesome @William Shears Campbell and I can relate. I don’t fit into the camps that people would try to put me in based on different aspects of who I am and what I like. mccartney-shrug_01_gif

The following people thank Beatlebug for this post:

William Shears Campbell

([{BRACKETS!}])
whiteheart.png

21 August 2019
9.41am
Ahhh Girl
sailing on a winedark open sea

Moderators

Members

Reviewers
Forum Posts: 22240

I’ll tag along on the last two posts. I don’t fit the librarian stereotype. I don’t wear cardigans or even have a single cat. Shame on me. Anyway…

The only stereotype group I find myself fitting into is “Beatlemaniac.” I guess that is why I feel so at home here on the forum. You are my chosen people.

The following people thank Ahhh Girl for this post:

William Shears Campbell, ThatWeirdBeatlesGirl, Beatlebug, ewe2, The Hole Got Fixed, ScarlettFieldsForever, Getbackintheussr, WeepingAtlasCedars
21 August 2019
9.44am
William Shears Campbell
Somewhere In The Black Mountain Hills Of Utah
Rishikesh
Members
Forum Posts: 3629
5593sp_Permalink sp_Print

Ahhh Girl said
… 

The only stereotype group I find myself fitting into is “Beatlemaniac.”… 

Yep I definitely fit that one as well.

The following people thank William Shears Campbell for this post:

Beatlebug

Here | There | Everywhere

It's ya boi!  The one and only Billy Shears (AKA Paul's Replacement)

"Sometimes I wish I was just George Harrison" - John Lennon

21 August 2019
10.08am
Tony Japanese
Shea Stadium
Members
Forum Posts: 913
5594sp_Permalink sp_Print

Ahhh Girl said
I’ll tag along on the last two posts. I don’t fit the librarian stereotype. I don’t wear cardigans or even have a single cat. Shame on me. Anyway…

The only stereotype group I find myself fitting into is “Beatlemaniac.” I guess that is why if feel so at home here on the forum. You are my chosen people.

Ahhh Girl (I’d tag you, but it doesn’t seem to work), have you ever heard the song ‘Joyce the Librarian’? It’s my favourite song about a librarian. 

list=RD-5ftzeIYAWc&start_radio=1&t=29

The following people thank Tony Japanese for this post:

Ahhh Girl
21 August 2019
10.21am
Ahhh Girl
sailing on a winedark open sea

Moderators

Members

Reviewers
Forum Posts: 22240

Nope, I hadn’t heard that one. Oh, my!

To tag me you may need to use this concoction of letters strung together after the @ cbatcu

21 August 2019
6.13pm
StrawberryFields91
Crackerbox Palace
Shea Stadium
Members
Forum Posts: 824
5596sp_Permalink sp_Print

I’m not completely clear on what the question is here, but if we’re talking about stereotypes…

People of my age are expected to do a lot of stupid things and care too much about a lot of things I don’t, so I work very (perhaps unreasonably) hard to distance myself from all that in both appearance and behavior. This generally amounts to wearing almost entirely t-shirts I make myself (using an iron and transfer paper) with various eely and Beatley things on them, deliberately “messing up” my hair, getting good grades, hating technology, and not talking to anyone. Because of all this, I don’t really fit any general stereotypes (except possibly Beatlemaniac). 

Anyway, more random information that you can ignore in favor of this:

EELS

The following people thank StrawberryFields91 for this post:

The Hole Got Fixed, 50yearslate, Getbackintheussr, Beatlebug, ThatWeirdBeatlesGirl

Isn't he a bit like you and me?

21 August 2019
9.15pm
ewe2
Inside the beat
Rishikesh
Members
5597sp_Permalink sp_Print

I don’t do eels but one thing I connect to my Beatleymania is my refusal to be a stereotypical old white man. The stereotype I’d prefer would be more Tolkienian but I’ll settle for not being rich, racist, sexist or anti-science. Or perhaps more rich and slightly less old a-hard-days-night-john-3More penguiny really.

I’ll venture a related question if I may: do you connect to nature regularly?

It may just be a walk in a nearby park every day or as full-blown as a wildlife hobby or trekking (what we Aussies call bush-walking because its the bush . I like knowing what birds are in my local area, I’ve seen some but there are many I can only hear. I live right next to a reserve, it has actual kookaburras (who call at dawn and dusk) and the occasional kangaroo/wallaby. One of the best things about living in the country! I do not hunt however, and I am not in favour of allowing cats out where they can destroy the ecosystem.

The following people thank ewe2 for this post:

The Hole Got Fixed

aus-flag-v-small.png

21 August 2019
10.18pm
50yearslate
Apple rooftop
Members
5598sp_Permalink sp_Print

I take my dog for a walk most days and I always love a good sit in my tree. We also have a very nice backyard, and I spend lots of time admiring local flora outside the classroom window a-hard-days-night-george-10

ewe2, Beatlebug, WeepingAtlasCedars

Love one another.

- - -

(I'm Fiddy, not Walrian)

- - -

22 August 2019
5.30am
The Hole Got Fixed
A Dock at Southampton

Moderators
Forum Posts: 8410
5599sp_Permalink sp_Print

I really love getting into nature and don’t do it often enough for my liking. I love going for a hike in the middle of nowhere.

The following people thank The Hole Got Fixed for this post:

ewe2

#AppleHoley2024: Make America Great For The First Time
2016 awards: Username-Badge.png 2017 awards: The-Hole-Got-Fixed-2017.png 2018 awards:The-Hole-Got-Fixed-2018.png 2019 awards: Ringo-2019.png 2020 awards:The-Hole-Got-Fixed-2020.png 2021 awards:The-Hole-Got-Fixed-2021.png
aus-flag-v-small.png

22 August 2019
6.27am
ScarlettFieldsForever
Marmalade Skies
Candlestick Park
Members
Forum Posts: 1063
5600sp_Permalink sp_Print

I’m always a city lover, but I still prefer somewhere with more plantation. Much to my delight, my university is located on a hill and near a big lake, and the buildings are all surrounded by trees and grass.a-hard-days-night-george-9

The following people thank ScarlettFieldsForever for this post:

ThatWeirdBeatlesGirl, ewe2

A girl with kaleidoscope eyes...

Forum Timezone: Europe/London
Most Users Ever Online: 700
Currently Online: rover
Guest(s) 1
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
Starr Shine?: 16105
Ron Nasty: 12534
Zig: 9832
50yearslate: 8759
Necko: 8043
AppleScruffJunior: 7583
parlance: 7111
mr. Sun king coming together: 6402
Mr. Kite: 6147
trcanberra: 6064
Member Stats:
Guest Posters: 88
Members: 2862
Moderators: 5
Admins: 1
Forum Stats:
Groups: 3
Forums: 44
Topics: 5520
Newest Members:
rover, rainontuesday, 9intheafternoon, NJtoTX, seo mavia
Moderators: Joe: 5694, meanmistermustard: 24964, Ahhh Girl: 22240, Beatlebug: 18182, The Hole Got Fixed: 8410
Administrators: Joe: 5694