Please consider registering
sp_LogInOut Log Insp_Registration Register
Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
sp_Feed sp_TopicIcon
The All-Purpose Getting-To-Know-BBers Questions Thread
9 October 2019
1.24pm
meanmistermustard
Thankfully not where I am.
Members

Reviewers

Moderators
Forum Posts: 24950
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
5661sp_Permalink sp_Print

Penguins 

Adorable in every way.

The following people thank meanmistermustard for this post:

Beatlebug, The Hole Got Fixed, 50yearslate, ewe2, Getbackintheussr, vonbontee, WeepingAtlasCedars

"I told you everything I could about me, Told you everything I could" ('Before Believing' - Emmylou Harris)

9 October 2019
7.02pm
ewe2
Inside the beat
Rishikesh
Members
Forum Posts: 3025

50yearslate said
What’s your favorite type of bird?

I have a bit of a strange fascination with quetzals, but I like sandpipers best.  

Well of course there is the magnificent PENGUIN but I do like other birds too. I also think parrots are great and here in Australia we get parrots all year round, from the Galah which is a pretty pink and white parrot, the Eastern Rosella (extremely pretty, go look up a picture) and the Rainbow Lorikeet (ditto) but also the big parrots like the Sulphur-crested which makes a hell of a din on its own and when they get together even in small groups its ridiculously loud. I get them all here literally on my doorstep and many many other birds besides. The gums are flowering again and we get what we commonly call “grass parrots” but are several species of small mostly-green parrot who descend upon said gums in clouds screaming with joy at all the nectar, by which I mean constant screaming although not as loud as the big parrots, it is still noisy. But that’s not all oh no. There’s the kookaburras who sneak up to trees not 30 metres away (100 foot) in groups have a big noisy laugh at 6am and 6pm and then sneak off. They’re in my backyard and I never ever see one. 

But if I have to pick a current favourite (notwithstanding magnificent PENGUINS), its the black-chinned honeyeater. These little squawkers have beautiful blue eye-rings and lovely olive-green wings and they are utter opportunists. A few of us in the flats here feed magpies with scraps which tames them enough that when they are nesting they won’t swoop on us (just about the only thing that works with them) but a flock of these honeyeaters came to live last fall and they cottoned on to the bread rort and  have corrupted miners (another bird, not young humans) and even Rosellas and now the magpies are annoyed at them and fight with them except for a couple of the young magpies who roam the neighbourhood with a couple of miners and honeyeaters. It’s been a daily soap-opera to watch and has greatly entertained me and my cat who’s had the best Cat TV ever. I hope they stay!

edit: my favourite penguins are the Adelie and Little penguins. Both are small, persistently dotty and adorable, and don’t fear humans enough.

The following people thank ewe2 for this post:

Getbackintheussr, 50yearslate, Beatlebug, The Hole Got Fixed, vonbontee, Ahhh Girl, WeepingAtlasCedars

I'm like Necko only I'm a bassist ukulele guitar synthesizer kazoo penguin and also everyone. Or is everyone me? Now I'm a confused bassist ukulele guitar synthesizer kazoo penguin everyone who is definitely not @Joe.  This has been true for 2016 & 2017 Sig-Badge.png but I may have to get more specific in the future.

aus-flag-v-small.png

9 October 2019
7.11pm
50yearslate
Playing on the roofs again
Apple rooftop
Members
Forum Posts: 8759
5663sp_Permalink sp_Print

So ewe like penguins 2? 

About the Cat TV- does you kitty make those funny cackling noises at birds out the window?

The following people thank 50yearslate for this post:

Beatlebug, Ahhh Girl

Love one another.

- - -

(I'm Fiddy, not Walrian)

- - -

2018:IMG_3980.PNG 2019: 00A040E0-7F67-413C-9CAB-AB4C27EB864A.png 2020:offtopic.png

10 October 2019
3.57am
ewe2
Inside the beat
Rishikesh
Members
5664sp_Permalink sp_Print

50yearslate said
So ewe like penguins 2? 

eye du!

About the Cat TV- does you kitty make those funny cackling noises at birds out the window? 

She generally doesn’t but I did catch her doing it one morning when the bird was really really close (a black-chinned honeyeater on my porch), it’s an odd sound. My previous cat, Macro, did it all the time and he went berserk one day when he saw a bluetongue lizard (look that one up, they’re really big fat lizards) crawling by, he was butting the window and gibbering. Noot also loves to see other cats outside, she’s almost as nutty about that as normal Cat TV.

The following people thank ewe2 for this post:

Ahhh Girl, 50yearslate

I'm like Necko only I'm a bassist ukulele guitar synthesizer kazoo penguin and also everyone. Or is everyone me? Now I'm a confused bassist ukulele guitar synthesizer kazoo penguin everyone who is definitely not @Joe.  This has been true for 2016 & 2017 Sig-Badge.png but I may have to get more specific in the future.

aus-flag-v-small.png

10 October 2019
9.47am
50yearslate
Apple rooftop
Members
5665sp_Permalink sp_Print

That’s adorable. My neighbors-across-the-street used to have an outdoor cat and Tisse H A T E D him. And of course he used to make all kinds of terrible noises at Casper before he went missing :(((((

ewe2

Love one another.

- - -

(I'm Fiddy, not Walrian)

- - -

2018:IMG_3980.PNG 2019: 00A040E0-7F67-413C-9CAB-AB4C27EB864A.png 2020:offtopic.png

10 October 2019
11.24am
vonbontee
Inside Von Bontee's mind
Apple rooftop
Members
Forum Posts: 5444
5666sp_Permalink sp_Print

I think I posted before how I was catsitting for my aunt a couple of years back, and how Chloe didn’t appear to appreciate Johnandyoko’s “Cambridge 1969” one bit! (Yoko’s unaccompanied vocalizing freaked her out.) She definitely preferred Bo Diddley. 

The following people thank vonbontee for this post:

50yearslate, Ahhh Girl, Beatlebug, ewe2, WeepingAtlasCedars

GEORGE: In fact, The Detroit Sound. JOHN: In fact, yes. GEORGE: In fact, yeah. Tamla-Motown artists are our favorites. The Miracles. JOHN: We like Marvin Gaye. GEORGE: The Impressions PAUL & GEORGE: Mary Wells. GEORGE: The Exciters. RINGO: Chuck Jackson. JOHN: To name but eighty. 

offtopic-1.png

https://rateyourmusic.com/~Myo.....Von_Bontee

10 October 2019
2.10pm
AppleScruffJunior
Sitting here doing nothing but procrastinating...
Apple rooftop
Reviewers

Members
Forum Posts: 7583
5667sp_Permalink sp_Print

@meanmistermustard  said
Penguins 

Adorable in every way.

Have I got the video for you, mmm:

My answer:

Both sparrows and swallows adore the shed my granddad has next to his house. They come every spring, move in, have their babies and then leave again in early September. It’s really nice when they’re around. There is a large pile of dust in front of said shed and nothing is more amusing than seeing 40 odd sparrows flinging themselves around in the dust.

The following people thank AppleScruffJunior for this post:

ewe2, meanmistermustard, Von Bontee, vonbontee

INTROVERTS UNITE! Separately....in your own homes!

Make Love, Not Wardrobes!

"Stop throwing jelly beans at me"- George Harrison

13 October 2019
5.15pm
Ron Nasty
Apple rooftop
Members

Reviewers
Forum Posts: 12534
5668sp_Permalink sp_Print

When on the interweb, are you someone who has lots of open tabs most of the time or just one or two as you close things behind you?

Never less than five open tabs (here, Beatles News, 3 internet, G-Mail inbox, floating) and currently twenty open tabs, which isn’t uncommon.

"I only said we were bigger than Rod... and now there's all this!" Ron Nasty

To @ Ron Nasty it's @ mja6758
The Beatles Bible 2020 non-Canon Poll Part One: 1958-1963 and Part Two: 1964-August 1966

13 October 2019
5.53pm
50yearslate
Apple rooftop
Members
5669sp_Permalink sp_Print

I always have at least three open- generally two Google Docs and my email. I used to keep the BB open all the time until I got scared of people seeing it. Generally, though, I close a tab when I’m done with it.

Ron Nasty

Love one another.

- - -

(I'm Fiddy, not Walrian)

- - -

13 October 2019
5.58pm
ThatWeirdBeatlesGirl
The Kingdom of Marigold
Paris Olympia
Members
Forum Posts: 358
5670sp_Permalink sp_Print

Ron Nasty said
When on the interweb, are you someone who has lots of open tabs most of the time or just one or two as you close things behind you?

Never less than five open tabs (here, Beatles News, 3 internet, G-Mail inbox, floating) and currently twenty open tabs, which isn’t uncommon.

I have no more than five or six at a time, because then all of the tabs start to squish together… I don’t like it (this is why I have OCD a-hard-days-night-paul-7).

The following people thank ThatWeirdBeatlesGirl for this post:

Ron Nasty, Beatlebug

Be groovy or leave, man.

-Bob Dylan

13 October 2019
6.06pm
50yearslate
Apple rooftop
Members
5671sp_Permalink sp_Print

a-hard-days-night-ringo-8YES SAME! I HATE WHEN THEY DO THAT!

Currently have 6 open, my email and 5 google docs. (Typing this on my phone, where this is the only tab.)

ThatWeirdBeatlesGirl, Ron Nasty, Beatlebug

Love one another.

- - -

(I'm Fiddy, not Walrian)

- - -

13 October 2019
6.26pm
Ron Nasty
Apple rooftop
Members

Reviewers
Forum Posts: 12534
5672sp_Permalink sp_Print

I do think there is a definite element of personality type that plays its part.

I’m a bit of a hoarder, so lots of open tabs make sense in that context; I don’t want to throw one away in case I discover it might be useful ten minutes from now.

Still 20 open, has been up to 22 in the last few minutes, but I know what all of them are – despite scrunched titles. Nearly always remember where things are.

The following people thank Ron Nasty for this post:

Von Bontee, Beatlebug, WeepingAtlasCedars

"I only said we were bigger than Rod... and now there's all this!" Ron Nasty

To @ Ron Nasty it's @ mja6758
The Beatles Bible 2020 non-Canon Poll Part One: 1958-1963 and Part Two: 1964-August 1966

13 October 2019
6.32pm
Dark Overlord
Nowhere Land
Rishikesh
Members
Forum Posts: 4470
5673sp_Permalink sp_Print

The only time i have more than one tab open is when i’m doing research.

The following people thank Dark Overlord for this post:

Beatlebug

If you're reading this, you are looking for something to do.

13 October 2019
8.38pm
The Hole Got Fixed
A Dock at Southampton

Moderators
Forum Posts: 8410
5674sp_Permalink sp_Print

I try not to have too many, I dont ljke having more than 10. I always have here, duolingo, and 2 emails – but I always have something open that I’m working on, like school work or the like

#AppleHoley2024: Make America Great For The First Time
2016 awards: Username-Badge.png 2017 awards: The-Hole-Got-Fixed-2017.png 2018 awards:The-Hole-Got-Fixed-2018.png 2019 awards: Ringo-2019.png 2020 awards:The-Hole-Got-Fixed-2020.png 2021 awards:The-Hole-Got-Fixed-2021.png
aus-flag-v-small.png

13 October 2019
10.07pm
Von Bontee
496 km NW of the '69 Toronto Rock n Roll Revival
Apple rooftop
Members
Forum Posts: 5448
5675sp_Permalink sp_Print

On both the mobile and laptop (same piece of crap I’ve been complaining about for years here), I try to keep a limit of five: BB occupying at least one or two.

Paul: Yeah well… first of all, we’re bringing out a ‘Stamp Out Detroit’ campaign.

14 October 2019
4.17pm
Beatlebug
Find me where ye echo lays

Moderators
Forum Posts: 18181
5676sp_Permalink sp_Print

On my desktop, I typically keep YouTube, my email, and one new tab open for whatever else. I usually only open the BB when I’m going to be actively browsing it. On my phone, I have the BB and one blank tab. When I’m doing schoolwork or something I’ll open more tabs, but like others above I don’t like to have so many tabs that they start to squish, and having dozens of tabs open makes me anxious. a-hard-days-night-paul-7

The following people thank Beatlebug for this post:

50yearslate, ThatWeirdBeatlesGirl

([{BRACKETS!}])
New to Forumpool? You can introduce yourself here.
If you love The Beatles Bible, and you have adblock, don't forget to white-list this site!
whiteheart.png
avatar_creative_signature_Hmm.pngStarSpangledBanner.png

14 October 2019
4.48pm
50yearslate
Apple rooftop
Members
5677sp_Permalink sp_Print

I also find that too many tabs makes your computer go much slower, which is a terrible thing a-hard-days-night-paul-3

Beatlebug, ThatWeirdBeatlesGirl

Love one another.

- - -

(I'm Fiddy, not Walrian)

- - -

17 October 2019
4.02am
ewe2
Inside the beat
Rishikesh
Members
5678sp_Permalink sp_Print

3 windows on three different virtual desktops because I’m a linux power user. 25-30 tabs on the first window and an average of 15 on the next two. first window is for general browsing, mail, social media and misc stuff, 2nd is code-related things (like looking up API’s. I’m teaching myself rust using VS Code, I hope to rewrite a c++ program in it.), 3rd is game-related stuff (usually on my steam desktop).  And that’s just my browser. A lot of applications use the chrome engine, eg VS Code itself, Discord, Steam, it’s getting a bit nuts. So even if you aren’t using Chrome as your primary browser, you’ve still got a bunch of chrome threads taking memory and CPU.

aus-flag-v-small.png

4 November 2019
2.00am
ewe2
Inside the beat
Rishikesh
Members
5679sp_Permalink sp_Print

Ugh I killed the thread with my nerd, sorry folks. I shall ask another question: what’s your preferred form of exercise and why? I like walking but my back makes it difficult for me to get back into it for exercise reasons, so I’m trying other things to get my metabolism going like steps and pedals; in fact I’ve bought a step so i can beatles-cise a-hard-days-night-george-10I figure a good round of Revolver should do wonders.

aus-flag-v-small.png

4 November 2019
3.29am
The Hole Got Fixed
A Dock at Southampton

Moderators
Forum Posts: 8410
5680sp_Permalink sp_Print

ewe2 said
Ugh I killed the thread with my nerd, sorry folks.

Not at all – everyone that was going to answer had already answered.paul-mccartney-thumb_gif

I shall ask another question: what’s your preferred form of exercise and why? I like walking but my back makes it difficult for me to get back into it for exercise reasons, so I’m trying other things to get my metabolism going like steps and pedals; in fact I’ve bought a step so i can beatles-cise a-hard-days-night-george-10I figure a good round of Revolver should do wonders.

I like walking the best. I’m not one for exercise usually, so I opt for the lowest energy variety possible. It’s also good because you can talk to people while doing it, absorb the scenery, and see other people in your community you may not usually see.

The following people thank The Hole Got Fixed for this post:

ewe2

#AppleHoley2024: Make America Great For The First Time
2016 awards: Username-Badge.png 2017 awards: The-Hole-Got-Fixed-2017.png 2018 awards:The-Hole-Got-Fixed-2018.png 2019 awards: Ringo-2019.png 2020 awards:The-Hole-Got-Fixed-2020.png 2021 awards:The-Hole-Got-Fixed-2021.png
aus-flag-v-small.png

Forum Timezone: Europe/London
Most Users Ever Online: 700
Currently Online: Joe
Guest(s) 1
Top Posters:
Starr Shine?: 16105
Ron Nasty: 12534
Zig: 9832
50yearslate: 8759
Necko: 8043
AppleScruffJunior: 7583
parlance: 7111
mr. Sun king coming together: 6402
Mr. Kite: 6147
trcanberra: 6064
Member Stats:
Guest Posters: 88
Members: 2859
Moderators: 5
Admins: 1
Forum Stats:
Groups: 3
Forums: 44
Topics: 5510
Newest Members:
frankc, viv@nelsontraining.co.uk, bornhairyman, frankkilmore123@gmail.com, onlyanorthernsong
Moderators: Joe: 5691, meanmistermustard: 24950, Ahhh Girl: 22212, Beatlebug: 18181, The Hole Got Fixed: 8410
Administrators: Joe: 5691