Please consider registering
sp_LogInOut Log Insp_Registration Register
Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
sp_Feed sp_TopicIcon
Pet Peeves
2 September 2016
4.50pm
meanmistermustard
Thankfully not where I am.
Members

Reviewers

Moderators
Forum Posts: 24964
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

The fact that doing the right thing can get you into more hassle than doing it wrong. Might as well do it wrong and lose the guilt of giving a shit.

And pettiness. I find it pathetic.

"I told you everything I could about me, Told you everything I could" ('Before Believing' - Emmylou Harris)

3 September 2016
5.14pm
Little Piggy Dragonguy
Nowhere Land
Rishikesh
Members
Forum Posts: 4141
2782sp_Permalink sp_Print

meanmistermustard said
The fact that doing the right thing can get you into more hassle than doing it wrong. Might as well do it wrong and lose the guilt of giving a shit.

Haven’t you ever heard the saying “No good deed goes unpunished”? I find that in many cases it is very true. 

The following people thank Little Piggy Dragonguy for this post:

WeepingAtlasCedars

All living things must abide by the laws of the shape they inhabit 

3 September 2016
6.09pm
meanmistermustard
Members

Reviewers

Moderators
2783sp_Permalink sp_Print

I just find it ridiculous that its far better to cover up a mistake and hope you get away with it than admit it.

Take tax; declare everything and do it to the letter of the book and you’ll be left with next to nothing. Identify and utilise all the loop holes etc and you get away with paying much less. It’s no wonder rich people stick it n the Bahamas and route it thru 54 banks in Russia. I’m not saying its right to do so I just can understand better why its done.

"I told you everything I could about me, Told you everything I could" ('Before Believing' - Emmylou Harris)

7 September 2016
6.05am
meanmistermustard
Members

Reviewers

Moderators
2784sp_Permalink sp_Print

People who clap themselves on TV. Really annoys me.

Pointless chat in TV quizzes. I really like ‘Only Connect’ and its been slightly better this series but even on that there is now boring needless chat and quirkiness that annoys the hell out of me. In the earlier series you were introduced to the contestants and the rest of the time was spent quizzing.

12 September 2016
12.09pm
Necko
Earth
Apple rooftop
Members
Forum Posts: 8043
2785sp_Permalink sp_Print

Adults who drink a ton of coffee and alcohol who say “I don’t drink soda because it’s unhealthy.”

The following people thank Necko for this post:

William Shears Campbell, WeepingAtlasCedars, Beatlebug

I'm Necko.  I'm like Ringo except I wear necklaces.

I'm also ewe2 on weekends.

Most likely to post things that make you go hmm... 2015, 2016, 2017. 

13 September 2016
1.24pm
Starr Shine?
Waiting in the sky
Apple rooftop
Members
Forum Posts: 16105
2786sp_Permalink sp_Print

When stories use the word orb instead of eyes.

When people say ‘his emerald orbs gazed morosely at the fan” I imagine that there eyes were replaced by jems.

The following people thank Starr Shine? for this post:

Beatlebug, Mademoiselle Kitty >^..^<

https://youtu.be/52nwiTs7bk8

Brainwashed by RadiantCowbells.

If you can't log in and can't use the forum go here and someone will help you out.

13 September 2016
2.49pm
meanmistermustard
Members

Reviewers

Moderators

I’m going to have to watch 45 minutes of celebs arriving at a premier when I see ‘Eight Days A Week …’ in the cinema. What moron thought that was a good idea?

While we have the performance scheduled as an 18:00 start time, we’ve been informed by the distributor that although there will be live footage shown from this point, this will mostly be ‘red carpet’ shots of celebrities arriving for the premiere. If this is something that you are not particularly keen to see, I would advise getting to the screening for 18:45 to allow for seating ahead of the start of the film at 19:00.

However it is worth noting that this event is sold out and the seating is unallocated, so getting to the auditorium earlier may prove beneficial in getting the best possible seats.

13 September 2016
2.59pm
Zig
The Toppermost of the Poppermost
Apple rooftop
Members

Reviewers
Forum Posts: 9832
2788sp_Permalink sp_Print

a-hard-days-night-ringo-8Bring darts with you. You can simulate the opening credits from the movie Help !.

The following people thank Zig for this post:

William Shears Campbell, Beatlebug, WeepingAtlasCedars

To the fountain of perpetual mirth, let it roll for all its worth. And all the children boogie.

13 September 2016
3.38pm
meanmistermustard
Members

Reviewers

Moderators
2789sp_Permalink sp_Print

Zig said
a-hard-days-night-ringo-8Bring darts with you. You can simulate the opening credits from the movie Help !.  

Pretty sure that will be against their H&S terms and conditions.  

The following people thank meanmistermustard for this post:

Zig

13 September 2016
3.42pm
William Shears Campbell
Somewhere In The Black Mountain Hills Of Utah
Rishikesh
Members
Forum Posts: 3629
2790sp_Permalink sp_Print

When you are going the speed limit and some impatient guy decides to tail 2 inches behind you to make you go faster when he could easily just change lanes and pass you.

Here | There | Everywhere

It's ya boi!  The one and only Billy Shears (AKA Paul's Replacement)

"Sometimes I wish I was just George Harrison" - John Lennon

15 September 2016
10.44am
Necko
Earth
Apple rooftop
Members

When people/news articles/clickbait/TV shows use the words “science says [X]” or “[X] is true, according to science.”

First of all, science doesn’t “say” anything. Science is simply a way of observing and collecting data. When enough scientific studies are done on a subject that suggest the same conclusion, then it becomes consensus. 

Secondly, even if science did “say” stuff, it would still be misuse of the language, because “science says” usually actually means “one study suggests.”

Starr Shine?, Beatlebug, William Shears Campbell, meanmistermustard, WeepingAtlasCedars, WeepingAtlasCedars, natureaker

15 September 2016
1.27pm
Starr Shine?
Waiting in the sky
Apple rooftop
Members
2792sp_Permalink sp_Print

New life goal, have a kid named Science. Then I can make a killing on clickbait articles.

The following people thank Starr Shine? for this post:

Beatlebug, William Shears Campbell, Necko, WeepingAtlasCedars, natureaker, Mademoiselle Kitty >^..^<

If you can't log in and can't use the forum go here and someone will help you out.

19 September 2016
3.33pm
Necko
Earth
Apple rooftop
Members
2793sp_Permalink sp_Print

TMZ and people/reporters of that ilk. Celebrities are just people. They don’t need their garbage pawed through by vultures who aren’t interesting or talented enough to be celebrities themselves. The simple existence of these wastes of brain stems is disgusting to me.

While we’re at it: I’ve had just about enough of this “celebrities should be role models” nonsense. Every time there’s some scandal, there’s some professional parent group that trots out this trite snowclone. Again, celebrities are just flawed, imperfect people just like you. They don’t owe you anything other than entertainment. 

William Shears Campbell, Beatlebug

19 September 2016
3.39pm
William Shears Campbell
Somewhere In The Black Mountain Hills Of Utah
Rishikesh
Members
Forum Posts: 3629
2794sp_Permalink sp_Print

@Necko said

They don’t owe you anything other than entertainment.   

They don’t even necessarily owe you that.  They usually do whatever entertainment they do because they enjoy it themselves.  If they’re not enjoying it or they want a break they have every right to stop.

The following people thank William Shears Campbell for this post:

Necko

Here | There | Everywhere

It's ya boi!  The one and only Billy Shears (AKA Paul's Replacement)

"Sometimes I wish I was just George Harrison" - John Lennon

19 September 2016
3.43pm
Little Piggy Dragonguy
Nowhere Land
Rishikesh
Members
2795sp_Permalink sp_Print

How people relate modern day factory farming to “natural selection” or “survival of the fittest”, but when a species is about to go extinct, those same people believe that humans should step in to “save” that species, completely ignoring that a species going extinct is a prime example of “survival of the fittest”.

The following people thank Little Piggy Dragonguy for this post:

Beatlebug

19 September 2016
4.50pm
Starr Shine?
Waiting in the sky
Apple rooftop
Members
2796sp_Permalink sp_Print

But factory farming is natural selection, the creatures that give us the most yummy food get to reproduce and over time develop new features to improve their chance at survival. Like how chickens lay blank eggs, that is something humans breed into them.

Also the engendered creatures have an adaptation, cuteness or beauty that they use to increase their survival by having humans care about them like if Pandas were ugly, then they would be extinct by now. An example is why some dogs look the way they do is because it looks appealing to humans.

Playing to humans is a part of survival of the fittest.

19 September 2016
6.23pm
meanmistermustard
Members

Reviewers

Moderators
2797sp_Permalink sp_Print

If man (meaning humans) is going out killing dolphins, whales, terrapins, salmon, tigers etc then its not natural selection – unless selection is meant in that man is selecting the animals to kill. If those doing the farming were to limit the numbers caught and killed then the species would not be in danger of being extinct. Amazingly if you allow a certain % of any species to remain at a level that allows for consistent reproduction and lifespan (for lack of a better word) then you can have a certain % to farm but wipe them all out and you will end up with nothing.

19 September 2016
6.46pm
Starr Shine?
Waiting in the sky
Apple rooftop
Members
2798sp_Permalink sp_Print

meanmistermustard said
If man (meaning humans) is going out killing dolphins, whales, terrapins, salmon, tigers etc then its not natural selection

If a group of rats go out killing dolphins, whales, terrapins, salmon, tigers etc does it become natural selection?

19 September 2016
11.23pm
Necko
Earth
Apple rooftop
Members
2799sp_Permalink sp_Print

William Shears Campbell said

@Necko said

They don’t owe you anything other than entertainment.   

They don’t even necessarily owe you that.  They usually do whatever entertainment they do because they enjoy it themselves.  If they’re not enjoying it or they want a break they have every right to stop.  

I considered that when I was writing the post originally. I ultimately decided that it sounded better to just leave it as it is rather than to rephrase myself. 

William Shears Campbell

20 September 2016
12.03pm
Little Piggy Dragonguy
Nowhere Land
Rishikesh
Members
2800sp_Permalink sp_Print

meanmistermustard said
If man (meaning humans) is going out killing dolphins, whales, terrapins, salmon, tigers etc then its not natural selection 

I tell people the same thing. The way we kill other species on such large scale is not natural, or being done by nature. People usually think I’m daft for saying that, though, so I really don’t bother about it anymore. 

Forum Timezone: Europe/London
Most Users Ever Online: 700
Currently Online:
Guest(s) 1
Top Posters:
Starr Shine?: 16105
Ron Nasty: 12534
Zig: 9832
50yearslate: 8759
Necko: 8043
AppleScruffJunior: 7583
parlance: 7111
mr. Sun king coming together: 6402
Mr. Kite: 6147
trcanberra: 6064
Member Stats:
Guest Posters: 88
Members: 2863
Moderators: 5
Admins: 1
Forum Stats:
Groups: 3
Forums: 44
Topics: 5520
Newest Members:
zerosprite, rover, rainontuesday, 9intheafternoon, NJtoTX
Moderators: Joe: 5694, meanmistermustard: 24964, Ahhh Girl: 22240, Beatlebug: 18182, The Hole Got Fixed: 8410
Administrators: Joe: 5694