Please consider registering
sp_LogInOut Log Insp_Registration Register
Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
sp_Feed sp_TopicIcon
Pet Peeves
20 August 2016
2.59am
Ron Nasty
Apple rooftop
Members

Reviewers
Forum Posts: 12534
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
2761sp_Permalink sp_Print

a-hard-days-night-ringo-8 I literally couldn’t agree more.

The following people thank Ron Nasty for this post:

Necko

"I only said we were bigger than Rod... and now there's all this!" Ron Nasty

To @ Ron Nasty it's @ mja6758
The Beatles Bible 2020 non-Canon Poll Part One: 1958-1963 and Part Two: 1964-August 1966

20 August 2016
2.08pm
Evangeline
1334 North Beechwood Drive
Candlestick Park
Members
Forum Posts: 1808
2762sp_Permalink sp_Print

I can stand snap, crackle, and pop record noise. I can moderately take warped records, repeating skips, and skips in general. But I can NOT handle off centered spindle holes. One of the most soul-shattering revelations.

tumblr_n8bwr9WDjl1qfap4co1_500.gifImage Enlarger

I am you as you are you as you are you and you are all together. 

20 August 2016
4.32pm
Necko
Earth
Apple rooftop
Members
Forum Posts: 8043
2763sp_Permalink sp_Print

Necko said, 5/20/16
How every single little website on the Internet expects you to “sign up” or “create an account” to do any minor thing on that website. I have too many passwords to remember already. 

Passive Aggressive Password Machine  

Similarly, this nonsense:

Image Enlarger

I tried to log in to tumblr today, and they’re forcing me to change my password simply because I’ve had my current password for a long time. Frankly, I don’t give a rat’s ass if someone hacks into my tumblr, because I don’t have any information worth stealing there. 

That’s kind of the point: It’s none of your damn business how secure or not secure I want my account to be. 

While I’m at it, people who bother with that “scan fingerprint to unlock phone” stuff drive me nuts. Get over yourself. You’re not James Bond. Your phone isn’t full of highly sensitive classified information that everyone is after. If hackers really wanted the information on your phone, they’d be able to get it and there’s nothing you can do to stop it. All having fingerprint scanning on your phone accomplishes is that it is a pain in the ass to people you lend your phone to. I don’t even have a numerical lock password on my phone because I know all those job application rejection emails aren’t of value to anyone. 

I know this is a redundant sentence, but all this excessive security stuff has gone too far. 

The following people thank Necko for this post:

Beatlebug, Mademoiselle Kitty >^..^<

I'm Necko.  I'm like Ringo except I wear necklaces.

I'm also ewe2 on weekends.

Most likely to post things that make you go hmm... 2015, 2016, 2017. 

21 August 2016
11.20am
Little Piggy Dragonguy
Nowhere Land
Rishikesh
Members
Forum Posts: 4141
2764sp_Permalink sp_Print

Necko said
Overuse/misuse of the word “literally.”  

There is now no misuse of the word “literally” since they added a new definition in the dictionary (see definition 2).

But on a related note, it really bothers me when people misuse the words ignorant and petty. Ignorant means unknowing, but it’s like all these people use it as an insult without even knowing what it means. They’re probably trying to sound smart by using a big kid word but all it does is make them sound stupid for misusing it. Petty means of little importance but young people these days like to misuse it and I like to point out to them when they do, but nobody seems to appreciate me trying to help them sound less stupid. 

The following people thank Little Piggy Dragonguy for this post:

Beatlebug, WeepingAtlasCedars

All living things must abide by the laws of the shape they inhabit 

21 August 2016
12.57pm
Starr Shine?
Waiting in the sky
Apple rooftop
Members
Forum Posts: 16105
2765sp_Permalink sp_Print

Little Piggy Dragonguy said

There is now no misuse of the word “literally” since they added a new definition in the dictionary (see definition 2).

That could happen to ignorant and petty also.

https://youtu.be/52nwiTs7bk8

Brainwashed by RadiantCowbells.

If you can't log in and can't use the forum go here and someone will help you out.

21 August 2016
1.03pm
Little Piggy Dragonguy
Nowhere Land
Rishikesh
Members
2766sp_Permalink sp_Print

Starr Shine? said

That could happen to ignorant and petty also.  

I don’t think it could because I don’t even think the people who misuse those words even know what definition they think they’re using, but if it did happen I would be greatly disappointed and I probably would never accept the new defintions as definitions of the words. 

21 August 2016
1.15pm
Starr Shine?
Waiting in the sky
Apple rooftop
Members
2767sp_Permalink sp_Print

I don’t think it could because I don’t even think the people who misuse those words even know what definition they think they’re using, but if it did happen I would be greatly disappointed and I probably would never accept the new defintions as definitions of the words.   

It happened with literally. No need to be disappointed with natural progression of language like how “can I” and “may I” have become the same thing.

If you can't log in and can't use the forum go here and someone will help you out.

21 August 2016
1.52pm
piggylane
y'know
London Palladium
Members
Forum Posts: 137
2768sp_Permalink sp_Print

Speaking of the misuse of words, people using chance instead of risk drives me crazy! also Thanks to and because of… And people saying he instead of him, this doesn’t happen as much in English as in Swedish but it makes you sound like a five year old!

The sun is up, the sky is blue, it’s beautiful, and so are you... probably... I actually don't know... and it's nighttime here //piggiesinpennylane

21 August 2016
2.20pm
Little Piggy Dragonguy
Nowhere Land
Rishikesh
Members
2769sp_Permalink sp_Print

Starr Shine? said

It happened with literally. No need to be disappointed with natural progression of language like how “can I” and “may I” have become the same thing.  

What did “can I” and “may I” used to mean?

piggylane said
Speaking of the misuse of words, people using chance instead of risk drives me crazy! also Thanks to and because of… And people saying he instead of him, this doesn’t happen as much in English as in Swedish but it makes you sound like a five year old!  

I only noticed people doing this when English isn’t their first language or if they’re a little kid, so I let it slide.

Sometimes it’s hard to let bad grammar slide even if it’s a baby talking, though. My four year old sister has pretty bad grammar and I just want to correct everything she says but I can’t.paul-mccartney

21 August 2016
2.44pm
Starr Shine?
Waiting in the sky
Apple rooftop
Members
2770sp_Permalink sp_Print

What did “can I” and “may I” used to mean?

From here

Once upon a time in the land of strict grammar rules, “can” denoted physical or mental ability and “may” denoted permission or authorization (1). It wasn’t OK to use “can” if you were talking about permission. You could hear citizens of this land saying, “May I accompany you to the ball, Miss Fuzzywink?” and “Why of course you may, my dear.” This young lady perhaps would ask her suitor about his dancing ability: “Can you do the cha-cha?” and he would answer that he did have the ability: “Why of course I can, Miss Fuzzywink.”

The following people thank Starr Shine? for this post:

Little Piggy Dragonguy, Beatlebug

28 August 2016
5.29pm
The Hippie Chick
Counting the holes in Blackburn, Lancashire
Candlestick Park
Members
Forum Posts: 1387
2771sp_Permalink sp_Print

I’ve kvetched about this before but another four friends just “liked” and “shared” a scam Facebook page. This time Delta Airlines claiming they’re giving away free first class travel anywhere in the world. Oh, really? REALLY? Hahahahahahahahaha!

I have posted to my friends before not to like or share those scams and how to know they’re scams. I mean this one? A case of if it looks too good to be true it probably is. Delta has an official verified page with more than two posts, and doesn’t spell it Delta Air”. The quotation marks are a giveaway. There is usually some extraneous punctuation involved in there so you can tell real fast it’s fake.

Over seven thousand likes and shares. People REALLY think this is for real? I mean REALLY? I keep telling people not to fall for it because if you like and share you’re boosting their Edgerank and propagating the scam. You are also opening yourself up to these scammers selling all these likes (accounts) on the black market to the highest bidder. It’s just NOT good.

I feel like I’m shouting into the void so much though. *sigh*

The following people thank The Hippie Chick for this post:

William Shears Campbell, Beatlebug

“She wasn't doing a thing that I could see, except standing there leaning on the balcony railing, holding the universe together.”  - J.D. Salinger

28 August 2016
5.52pm
Squid's Orchard
United States
Casbah Coffee Club
Members
Forum Posts: 16
2772sp_Permalink sp_Print

Personally, I hate when someone texts me “Hi”, then I naturally reply with “Hey” and their response is another “Hi”. It’s incredibly annoying for some reason, Haha.

" Living Is Easy With Eyes Closed, Misunderstanding All You See.. "gifbro.gif

28 August 2016
5.55pm
Ahhh Girl
sailing on a winedark open sea

Moderators

Members

Reviewers
Forum Posts: 22198

Silly Girl said
Smudgy touch-screens drive me batty. I am always going round and cleaning people’s screens for them.   

Just cleaned my laptop screen. You may come for a visit.

The following people thank Ahhh Girl for this post:

Beatlebug, Necko
28 August 2016
6.53pm
Little Piggy Dragonguy
Nowhere Land
Rishikesh
Members
2774sp_Permalink sp_Print

When people say they love animals even though they support the abuse and slaughter of them.
Or when people get upset by animal abuse even though they support it by paying people to kill and torture animals. 

28 August 2016
7.48pm
William Shears Campbell
Somewhere In The Black Mountain Hills Of Utah
Rishikesh
Members
Forum Posts: 3629
2775sp_Permalink sp_Print

@Squid's Orchard said
Personally, I hate when someone texts me “Hi”, then I naturally reply with “Hey” and their response is another “Hi”. It’s incredibly annoying for some reason, Haha.  

Some people just really enjoy the Hi Hi Hi (or Hi Hey Hi in this case.)

Here | There | Everywhere

It's ya boi!  The one and only Billy Shears (AKA Paul's Replacement)

"Sometimes I wish I was just George Harrison" - John Lennon

28 August 2016
8.41pm
Squid's Orchard
United States
Casbah Coffee Club
Members
Forum Posts: 16
2776sp_Permalink sp_Print

William Shears Campbell said

Some people just really enjoy the Hi Hi Hi (or Hi Hey Hi in this case.)  

I should’ve seen that one coming ahaha! paul-mccartney-thumb_gif

The following people thank Squid's Orchard for this post:

Ahhh Girl

" Living Is Easy With Eyes Closed, Misunderstanding All You See.. "gifbro.gif

28 August 2016
9.01pm
WeepingAtlasCedars
Gelzelha, The Void
Rishikesh
Members
Forum Posts: 2699
2777sp_Permalink sp_Print

When you look at the condition of a record in the shop, and it seems near perfect, so you buy it. Later, you play the darned thing and there’s skips galore! a-hard-days-night-paul-3

Alas, my un-faded cover, looks-like-it-plays-really-well-but-as-you-can-already-tell-from-what’s-written-above-it-doesn’t 1969 pressing of Led Zeppelin II is now mostly just for show. paul-mccartney

The following people thank WeepingAtlasCedars for this post:

Evangeline, Beatlebug

"WeepyC came into the fray as the premier Jimmy Page fan, and will remain." - sir walter raleigh

2016 & 2017: Username-Badge.png

2020: Creative-Contribution-2020.pngFunniest-Post-2020.pngMost-Likely-to-Cheer-Somebody-Up-in-a-Bad-Mood-2020.png

29 August 2016
12.00am
Necko
Earth
Apple rooftop
Members
Forum Posts: 8043

When biographies get wildly speculative.  Today I saw a full book about the day John met Paul.  After looking at the first page, I decided it wasn’t worth buying.  I’m tired of seeing biographies or non-fiction books that read like this:

John Lennon woke up that morning with a wide grin on his face, as was the style at the time.  John Lennon ate eggs for breakfast, because that’s just the kind of person that he was.  He must have felt this and thought that.”

That’s just hack-y writing pretending you have a window that you can see into dead peoples’ souls and read their thoughts.  The author is just imagining people the way that the author would like them to be.  Go write lousy fanfiction if that’s what you’re trying to do.

The following people thank Necko for this post:

William Shears Campbell, Beatlebug, Starr Shine?, WeepingAtlasCedars

I'm Necko.  I'm like Ringo except I wear necklaces.

I'm also ewe2 on weekends.

Most likely to post things that make you go hmm... 2015, 2016, 2017. 

29 August 2016
4.51am
Starr Shine?
Waiting in the sky
Apple rooftop
Members
2779sp_Permalink sp_Print

^ In that case might as well go all the way and have John and Paul track down George and Ringo and stop the cold war using the power of rock and roll.

The following people thank Starr Shine? for this post:

Beatlebug, WeepingAtlasCedars, Necko

29 August 2016
11.05am
Little Piggy Dragonguy
Nowhere Land
Rishikesh
Members
2780sp_Permalink sp_Print

x

Necko said
When biographies get wildly speculative.  Today I saw a full book about the day John met Paul.  After looking at the first page, I decided it wasn’t worth buying.  I’m tired of seeing biographies or non-fiction books that read like this:

John Lennon woke up that morning with a wide grin on his face, as was the style at the time.  John Lennon ate eggs for breakfast, because that’s just the kind of person that he was.  He must have felt this and thought that.”

That’s just hack-y writing pretending you have a window that you can see into dead peoples’ souls and read their thoughts.  The author is just imagining people the way that the author would like them to be.  Go write lousy fanfiction if that’s what you’re trying to do.  

I couldn’t agree more. In reading class in eighth grade we had to read a book about Abe Lincoln’s killer and the author pretended to know exactly what the guy was thinking when he killed Lincoln and after that when he went into hiding and it really bothered me. What bothered me more than the book was how my teacher taught it to us like the book was all fact when most of it was made up. 

The following people thank Little Piggy Dragonguy for this post:

Necko

Forum Timezone: Europe/London
Most Users Ever Online: 700
Currently Online:
Guest(s) 1
Top Posters:
Starr Shine?: 16105
Ron Nasty: 12534
Zig: 9832
50yearslate: 8759
Necko: 8043
AppleScruffJunior: 7583
parlance: 7111
mr. Sun king coming together: 6402
Mr. Kite: 6147
trcanberra: 6064
Member Stats:
Guest Posters: 88
Members: 2858
Moderators: 5
Admins: 1
Forum Stats:
Groups: 3
Forums: 44
Topics: 5508
Newest Members:
jsullivan2112_1, catadorademusica, Slowhand, mirrortime, Julie
Moderators: Joe: 5690, meanmistermustard: 24944, Ahhh Girl: 22198, Beatlebug: 18181, The Hole Got Fixed: 8410
Administrators: Joe: 5690