Comedian Peter Serafinowicz will provide the voice of Paul McCartney in Robert Zemeckis’ new version of The Beatles’ Yellow Submarine film.
He is perhaps best known for his appearances alongside Simon Pegg in Shaun Of The Dead and Spaced, and for voicing Darth Maul in Star Wars: Episode I – The Phantom Menace.
The other leading cast members in the Yellow Submarine remake are Dean Lennox Kelly, who played Kev Ball in the Channel 4 TV show Shameless, as John Lennon; Cary Elwes, who previously worked with Zemeckis on A Christmas Carol, as George Harrison; and Epic Movie’s Adam Campbell as Ringo Starr.
California-based Beatles tribute band The Fab Four will provide motion-captured performances of the musical sequences, though 16 of The Beatles’ original recordings will be used.
The film will be a computer-animated remake of the 1968 original, using performance capture and 3D technology. Disney hopes to release the film in time for the 2012 Olympic Games in London.
Also on this day...
- 2021: Mary McCartney to direct Abbey Road Studios documentary
- 2010: Album release: Y Not by Ringo Starr
- 1981: US single release: Woman by John Lennon
- 1969: The Beatles meet at Ringo Starr’s house
- 1968: Recording: The Inner Light, Wonderwall Music
- 1967: Recording, mixing: Penny Lane
- 1967: Joe Orton is asked to write a film script for The Beatles
- 1966: John Lennon and Ringo Starr holiday in Trinidad
- 1965: Live: Another Beatles Christmas Show
- 1964: Sunday Night At The London Palladium
- 1963: Live: Invicta Ballroom, Chatham
- 1962: Live: Tower Ballroom, New Brighton, Wallasey
- 1962: Live: Cavern Club, Liverpool (evening)
Want more? Visit the Beatles history section.