There were two shows on this night, with guest performers including Freddie And The Dreamers, Sounds Incorporated, Elkie Brooks, The Yardbirds, Michael Haslam, The Mike Cotton Sound and Ray Fell. The compère was Jimmy Savile.
The Beatles appeared in two sketches, one with Freddie Garrity of Freddie And The Dreamers, and another with Jimmy Savile. They closed the shows with an 11-song set: Twist And Shout, I’m A Loser, Baby’s In Black, Everybody’s Trying To Be My Baby, Can’t Buy Me Love, Honey Don’t, I Feel Fine, She’s A Woman, A Hard Day’s Night, Rock And Roll Music and Long Tall Sally.
Also on this day...
- 2010: Cast list announced for Robert Zemeckis’ Yellow Submarine remake
- 1969: The Beatles meet at Ringo Starr’s house
- 1968: Recording: The Inner Light, Wonderwall Music
- 1967: Recording, mixing: Penny Lane
- 1967: Joe Orton is asked to write a film script for The Beatles
- 1966: John Lennon and Ringo Starr holiday in Trinidad
- 1964: Sunday Night At The London Palladium
- 1963: Live: Invicta Ballroom, Chatham
- 1962: Live: Tower Ballroom, New Brighton, Wallasey
- 1962: Live: Cavern Club, Liverpool (evening)
Want more? Visit the Beatles history section.