Yoko Ono’s appearance on the long-running BBC radio series Desert Island Discs was first broadcast on 10 June 2007.
Ono was interviewed by the show’s host, Kirsty Young, and chose the eight records, luxury item and book she would take if stranded as a castaway on a desert island.
Her choices were:
- Édith Piaf: ‘Non, Je Ne Regrette Rien’
- Lale Andersen: ‘Lilli Marlene’
- Dominic Behan: ‘Liverpool Lou’
- Bob Marley: ‘One Love (People Get Ready)’
- Gracie Fields: ‘When I Grow Too Old To Dream’
- John Lennon: ‘Beautiful Boy (Darling Boy)’
- Sean Lennon: ‘Magic’
- Amiina: ‘Seoul’
Ono’s chosen book was the Chinese classic Sai-Yu-Ki, and her luxury item would be her life for the next 30 years. If she were allowed to keep just one record from the eight it would be Lennon’s ‘Beautiful Boy (Darling Boy)’.
Last updated: 9 February 2023
Also on this day...
- 2022: Ringo Starr live: Count Basie Center for the Arts, Red Bank, New Jersey
- 2022: Ringo Starr postpones US tour dates
- 2021: George Harrison’s All Things Must Pass gets deluxe reissue treatment
- 2014: Ringo Starr live: Palace Theatre, Albany, New York
- 2014: Paul McCartney postpones seven US tour dates
- 2013: Paul McCartney live: Barclays Center, New York
- 2011: Paul McCartney live: MGM Grand Garden, Las Vegas
- 1968: Recording: Revolution 9
- 1968: George Harrison films a scene for Ravi Shankar’s Raga
- 1966: UK single release: Paperback Writer
- 1964: Interview in Hong Kong
- 1964: Mixing: I’ll Be Back
- 1963: Live: Pavilion, Bath
- 1961: Live: Top Ten Club, Hamburg
Want more? Visit the Beatles history section.