In a ceremony held at New York’s Waldorf Astoria Hotel, Mick Jagger inducted The Beatles into the Rock And Roll Hall of Fame.
It was the third annual event for the Hall of Fame. George Harrison and Ringo Starr attended, as did Yoko Ono, Julian Lennon and Sean Lennon.
Paul McCartney decided not to attend. He issued a statement citing “still-existing business differences among The Beatles,” adding that “It would have been hypocritical to appear on stage with them, waving and smiling.”
Guests paid $300 each to attend. Among the performers at the event were The Beach Boys, Bob Dylan, The Drifters and The Supremes. Non-performers inducted into the Hall were Berry Gordy Jr, Lead Belly, Woody Guthrie and Les Paul.
The Beach Boys’ Mike Love commented from the stage: “The Beach Boys are continuing to do 180 performances a year. I’d like to see the mop-tops match that!”
The show closed with Harrison and Starr joining Dylan, Jagger, Bruce Springsteen and a number of other performers for an informal jam session. Songs performed included ‘I Saw Her Standing There’, ‘All Along The Watchtower’, ‘Twist And Shout’, ‘Stand By Me’, ‘Stop! In The Name Of Love’, ‘Whole Lotta Shakin’ Goin’ On’, ‘Hound Dog’, ‘Honey Hush’, ‘Barbara Ann’, ‘Blue Bayou’, and ‘(I Can’t Get No) Satisfaction’.
Also on this day...
- 2014: UK release: The US Albums
- 2013: McCartney demo of A World Without Love is unveiled
- 1982: Paul McCartney appears on the BBC’s Desert Island Discs
- 1970: John Lennon and Yoko Ono have their hair cropped in Denmark
- 1969: The Beatles meet at Apple’s basement studio
- 1967: Recording: A Day In The Life
- 1965: Ringo Starr proposes to Maureen Cox
- 1964: Live: Olympia Theatre, Paris
- 1964: US album release: Meet The Beatles!
- 1963: Live: Cavern Club, Liverpool (evening)
- 1962: Live: Cavern Club, Liverpool (evening)
- 1961: Live: Lathom Hall, Liverpool
- 1961: Stuart Sutcliffe leaves Hamburg
Want more? Visit the Beatles history section.
thats why i do not like paul