The single ‘You’ was released on 12 September 1975, with ‘World Of Stone’ on the b-side. It reached number nine in Canada, and was a top 20 hit in the USA and Sweden. In the UK it peaked at number 38.
Extra Texture (Read All About It) was released in the US on 22 September 1975, and in the UK on 3 October. It was a top ten hit in Japan, Norway, and the United States. In the UK it peaked at number 16.
A second single, ‘This Guitar (Can’t Keep From Crying)’, followed on 8 December in the US, and on 6 February 1976 in the UK. Its b-side was the Dark Horse track ‘Māya Love’.
The single failed to chart on either of the three US singles charts, or the UK’s official top 50. It was Harrison’s first single to miss the Billboard Hot 100, and the first by a former Beatle to not chart in the US.
On 11 November 1975, Extra Texture received a gold disc from the RIAA, for sales of 500,000 units.
Also on this day...
- 2011: Paul McCartney attends the première of Ocean’s Kingdom
- 2010: McCartney’s former PR man to publish Beatles fan history
- 2010: HP to digitise Paul McCartney’s personal archive
- 2009: The Beatles break chart records around the world in 2009
- 1967: Filming: Magical Mystery Tour
- 1962: Live: Majestic Ballroom, Birkenhead
- 1961: Live: Knotty Ash Village Hall, Liverpool
- 1960: Live: Indra Club, Hamburg
Want more? Visit the Beatles history section.