George Harrison and Mal Evans had travelled to Portsmouth on 26 August 1969 to meet Bob Dylan. The American singer was due to perform at the Isle of Wight Festival on 31 August, his first public performance in three years.
Dylan had travelled to the island on the day he arrived in the UK, but Harrison had to return to London to fulfill various business demands. On this day, however, George and Pattie Harrison drove to Portsmouth and took the ferry to the Isle of Wight to spend time with Dylan and his family.
Also on this day...
- 2010: John Lennon’s toilet sells for £9,500
- 1969: Apple holds a launch party for Radha Krsna Temple
- 1969: Mary McCartney is born
- 1968: Recording: Dear Prudence
- 1966: Live: Dodger Stadium, Los Angeles
- 1965: Live: Balboa Stadium, San Diego
- 1964: Bob Dylan turns The Beatles on to cannabis
- 1964: Live: Forest Hills Tennis Stadium, New York
- 1963: Live: Odeon Cinema, Southport
- 1963: Television: The Mersey Sound
- 1962: Live: Cavern Club, Liverpool (evening)
- 1961: Live: Cavern Club, Liverpool (lunchtime)
- 1960: Live: Indra Club, Hamburg
Want more? Visit the Beatles history section.