This was the first of two performances, the second of which took place the following night, in front of 16,000 fans at the Forest Hills Stadium in Queens, New York City.
The Beatles had landed at 3.02am that morning at Kennedy Airport, and were greeted by 3,000 waiting fans. They were driven to the Delmonico Hotel on Park Avenue and 59th Street where more fans were waiting, even though their stay was supposed to be a secret.
One fan, Angie McGowan, snatched Ringo Starr’s St Christopher medallion as he made his way inside the hotel, although she returned it later that day at their pre-show press conference. The fans were dispersed by police at 4am. By the time The Beatles awoke later that morning thousands more fans were outside.
The Beatles were flown to the stadium by helicopter, which departed late as the pilot didn’t have permission to take off. They took to the stage at 9.50pm, later than expected.
— George Harrison (@GeorgeHarrison) August 28, 2018
Tickets for each of the venue’s 15,983 seats were sold out, and extra ones were added at the high price of $6.50. The audience were kept from the stage by an eight-foot high fence topped with barbed wire.
The Beatles performed their standard 12-song set for the US tour: ‘Twist And Shout’, ‘You Can’t Do That’, ‘All My Loving’, ‘She Loves You’, ‘Things We Said Today’, ‘Roll Over Beethoven’, ‘Can’t Buy Me Love’, ‘If I Fell’, ‘I Want To Hold Your Hand’, ‘Boys’, ‘A Hard Day’s Night’, and ‘Long Tall Sally’.
Also on this day...
- 2010: John Lennon’s toilet sells for £9,500
- 1969: George and Pattie Harrison travel to the Isle of Wight to see Bob Dylan
- 1969: Apple holds a launch party for Radha Krsna Temple
- 1969: Mary McCartney is born
- 1968: Recording: Dear Prudence
- 1966: Live: Dodger Stadium, Los Angeles
- 1965: Live: Balboa Stadium, San Diego
- 1964: Bob Dylan turns The Beatles on to cannabis
- 1963: Live: Odeon Cinema, Southport
- 1963: Television: The Mersey Sound
- 1962: Live: Cavern Club, Liverpool (evening)
- 1961: Live: Cavern Club, Liverpool (lunchtime)
- 1960: Live: Indra Club, Hamburg
Want more? Visit the Beatles history section.