The hearing lasted just five minutes. Sergeant Norman Pilcher read the charges against them, Lennon and Ono were remanded on bail, and their case was adjourned until 28 November 1968.
Upon leaving the court, the couple found their car was not waiting. Amid the scrum of reporters and the public, the couple huddled together, with Lennon doing his best to protect his pregnant girlfriend before their transport arrived.
Also on this day...
- 2015: Paul McCartney live at Pennsylvania Convention Center, Philadelphia
- 2014: Ringo Starr live at Barbara B Mann Performing Arts Hall, Fort Myers, Florida
- 1967: Recording: Hello, Goodbye
- 1965: Recording: unused Christmas fan club messages
- 1964: Live: ABC Cinema, Edinburgh
- 1963: Live: Pavilion Gardens Ballroom, Buxton
- 1962: Live: Cavern Club, Liverpool (lunchtime)
- 1961: Live: Litherland Town Hall, Liverpool
- 1960: Live: Kaiserkeller, Hamburg
Want more? Visit the Beatles history section.