The album contained reworked versions of a number of songs written by McCartney for his late wife Linda. While planning a memorial service, McCartney considered the music she might have chosen herself.
It might have been some loud rock ‘n’ roll, or perhaps something of mine. So I made a list of songs I had written specifically with Linda in mind.
Working Classical was released in the UK on 18 October 1999, where it peaked at number two in the classical charts.
It topped the US classical charts after being released the following day, 19 October 1999. Unlike his earlier classical works, however, it did not enter the mainstream charts.
Also on this day...
- 2015: Paul McCartney live: Pennsylvania Convention Center, Philadelphia
- 2014: Ringo Starr live: Barbara B Mann Performing Arts Hall, Fort Myers, Florida
- 1999: Album release: I Wanna Be Santa Claus by Ringo Starr
- 1968: John and Yoko appear in court on drugs charges
- 1967: Recording: Hello, Goodbye
- 1965: Recording: unused Christmas fan club messages
- 1964: Live: ABC Cinema, Edinburgh
- 1963: Live: Pavilion Gardens Ballroom, Buxton
- 1962: Live: Cavern Club, Liverpool (lunchtime)
- 1961: Live: Litherland Town Hall, Liverpool
- 1960: Live: Kaiserkeller, Hamburg
Want more? Visit the Beatles history section.