Naturally, he took his girlfriend Yoko Ono with him. It was the first time the two women had met.
Mimi Smith lived in a bungalow called Harbour’s Edge, at 126 Panorama Road in Sandbanks, Poole. Lennon bought the house for her in 1965 for £25,000, and she lived there until her death in 1992. The house was since sold and later demolished.
Also on this day...
- 2019: Paul McCartney live at Dodger Stadium, Los Angeles
- 2014: Ringo Starr live at City National Civic, San Jose, California
- 2010: Paul McCartney live at Rio Tinto Stadium, Salt Lake City
- 1965: Lennon and McCartney receive five Ivor Novello awards
- 1964: US single release: A Hard Day’s Night
- 1963: Live: Winter Gardens, Margate
- 1962: Live: Tower Ballroom, New Brighton, Wallasey
- 1961: Live: St John’s Hall, Liverpool
Want more? Visit the Beatles history section.