The Beatles had this weekend free during the recording of the White Album, so John Lennon took the opportunity to visit his aunt Mimi in Poole, Dorset.
Naturally, he took his girlfriend Yoko Ono with him. It was the first time the two women had met.
Mimi Smith lived in a bungalow called Harbour’s Edge, at 126 Panorama Road in Sandbanks, Poole. Lennon bought the house for her in 1965 for £25,000, and she lived there until her death in 1992. The house was since sold and later demolished.
Last updated: 25 January 2012
Also on this day...
- 2019: Paul McCartney live: Dodger Stadium, Los Angeles
- 2014: Ringo Starr live: City National Civic, San Jose, California
- 2010: Paul McCartney live: Rio Tinto Stadium, Salt Lake City
- 1992: UK album release: Live In Japan by George Harrison
- 1965: Lennon and McCartney receive five Ivor Novello awards
- 1964: US single release: A Hard Day’s Night
- 1963: Live: Winter Gardens, Margate
- 1962: Live: Tower Ballroom, New Brighton, Wallasey
- 1961: Live: St John’s Hall, Liverpool
Want more? Visit the Beatles history section.