The ceremony was presented by David Frost, and the awards were given to McCartney by Sir Billy Butlin. McCartney arrived 40 minutes late after forgetting about the event.
Lennon, meanwhile, chose not to attend after the fuss caused by The Beatles being awarded MBEs. In recognition of this, McCartney accepted one of the awards with the words, “Thanks. I hope nobody sends theirs back now.”
McCartney’s acceptance and subsequent speech was filmed by cameras from Rediffusion. The event was broadcast between 10.30pm and 11.05pm during a show called Pick Of The Songs.
Also on this day...
- 2019: Paul McCartney live at Dodger Stadium, Los Angeles
- 2014: Ringo Starr live at City National Civic, San Jose, California
- 2010: Paul McCartney live at Rio Tinto Stadium, Salt Lake City
- 1968: John Lennon introduces his aunt Mimi to Yoko Ono
- 1964: US single release: A Hard Day’s Night
- 1963: Live: Winter Gardens, Margate
- 1962: Live: Tower Ballroom, New Brighton, Wallasey
- 1961: Live: St John’s Hall, Liverpool
Want more? Visit the Beatles history section.