After Brian Epstein told EMI that The Beatles would not be making any new music available for the Christmas market, the record company chose to prepare the first UK compilation of their music.
None of the sessions was attended by The Beatles. During this first one, George Martin oversaw three stereo mixes of ‘Paperback Writer’. He had also intended to work on ‘She Loves You’ and ‘I Want To Hold Your Hand’, but work on ‘Paperback Writer’ took up the entire two-hour session and they were left for another time.
Also on this day...
- 2015: Ringo Starr live at Kings Theater, Brooklyn, New York
- 2012: Paul McCartney’s 1964 Aston Martin DB5 sells for £307,500
- 2011: Paul McCartney commissions restoration of Motown piano
- 1988: USSR album release: Choba B CCCP by Paul McCartney
- 1983: Album release: Pipes Of Peace by Paul McCartney
- 1969: UK single release: Something/Come Together
- 1968: George Harrison produces Is This What You Want? by Jackie Lomax
- 1967: Filming: Magical Mystery Tour
- 1964: Live: Gaumont Cinema, Ipswich
- 1963: Travel: Stockholm to London
- 1961: Live: Litherland Town Hall, Liverpool
- 1960: Live: Kaiserkeller, Hamburg
- 1956: Paul McCartney’s mother Mary dies
Want more? Visit the Beatles history section.