We are inviting local teenagers to bring in their records and other symbols of the group’s popularity to be burned at a public bonfire on Friday night, August 13.
Station manager, KLUE
During the ritual, the Grand Dragon of the South Carolina Ku Klux Klan burnt a Beatles record on a large wooden cross.
Last updated: 25 May 2009
Also on this day...
- 2008: The Beatles’ contract with Brian Epstein to be auctioned
- 2008: John Lennon’s killer denied parole for fifth time
- 1969: Mixing: You Never Give Me Your Money
- 1968: Recording, editing: Sexy Sadie, Yer Blues
- 1966: Live: Olympia Stadium, Detroit
- 1965: Travel: London to New York
- 1965: US album release: Help!
- 1963: Live: Odeon Cinema, Llandudno
- 1962: Live: Majestic Ballroom, Crewe
- 1962: Live: Cavern Club, Liverpool (lunchtime)
- 1961: Live: Casbah Coffee Club, Liverpool
Want more? Visit the Beatles history section.