The day after it organised a public burning of The Beatles’ music and memorabilia, radio station KLUE of Longview, Texas was struck by lightning.
The lightning bolt hit the station’s transmission tower, destroying broadcast equipment and knocking unconscious the news director. KLUE remained off-air for some time afterwards.
Also on this day...
- 2014: Paul McCartney live: Candlestick Park, San Francisco
- 2013: Paul McCartney live: Mosaic Stadium, Regina, Canada
- 2010: Paul McCartney live: Wells Fargo Center, Philadelphia
- 1969: Radio: Everett Is Here
- 1969: Mixing, editing: Sun King, Mean Mr Mustard, Maxwell’s Silver Hammer, Polythene Pam, She Came In Through The Bathroom Window, You Never Give Me Your Money
- 1968: Recording, mixing: Yer Blues, What’s The New Mary Jane
- 1966: Live: Cleveland Stadium, Cleveland, Ohio
- 1965: The Beatles’ fourth and final Ed Sullivan Show
- 1964: Recording, mixing: I’m A Loser, Mr Moonlight, Baby’s In Black, Leave My Kitten Alone
- 1963: Live: Odeon Cinema, Llandudno
- 1963: Television: Scene At 6.30
- 1961: Live: Cavern Club, Liverpool (lunchtime)
Want more? Visit the Beatles history section.
So clearly God likes The Beatles. I never knew he had taste.
Hmmm…well that’s what they get I guess. Take that!
I can’t say that I remember what I was doing on 8-13-66 or 8-14-66, but that is probably just as well since I was only about 4 years old! I never heard about this incident until like right now. I find it really interesting that because of this incident & the effect it had on the Beatles US tour that they never did another commercial tour for the rest of the time they were together? WOW! That is something.I was never a big fan, yet I know how much of an effect they created on all music.
I was just getting into Lennon’s solo stuff when that ended abruptly. I like Paul M. and can say that having seen him recently, I can really feel the musician in him and his music in me. The other 2 I believe have passed on & I know nothing of their solo work. Having said more than I should I am out of here.KL