The Beatles' eighth US album released by Capitol Records, Help!, was issued on this day as MAS-2386 (mono) and SMAS-2386 (stereo).
Unlike the UK version, which featured songs from the Help! film on the first side, and seven further tracks on the other, Capitol included a number of selections from Ken Thorne's orchestral score, performed by the George Martin Orchestra.
This version - which also includes the 'James Bond' introduction to the title track, was reissued on the Capitol Albums Vol. 2 and US Albums box sets.
— George Harrison (@GeorgeHarrison) August 13, 2017
Also on this day...
- 2008: The Beatles’ contract with Brian Epstein to be auctioned
- 2008: John Lennon’s killer denied parole for fifth time
- 1969: Mixing: You Never Give Me Your Money
- 1968: Recording, editing: Sexy Sadie, Yer Blues
- 1966: KLUE radio in Texas organises a public Beatles bonfire
- 1966: Live: Olympia Stadium, Detroit
- 1965: Travel: London to New York
- 1963: Live: Odeon Cinema, Llandudno
- 1962: Live: Majestic Ballroom, Crewe
- 1962: Live: Cavern Club, Liverpool (lunchtime)
- 1961: Live: Casbah Coffee Club, Liverpool
Want more? Visit the Beatles history section.