The Beatles' first appearance in Help! was to be a scene in which their Rolls-Royce dropped them in a residential street and they entered four adjacent terraced houses. The scene was filmed on this day at Ailsa Avenue in Twickenham, England.
The street was located near to Twickenham Film Studios, where the bulk of the film was made. Ringo Starr entered number five, John Lennon went into number seven, Paul McCartney number nine and George Harrison number 11.
A number of other street scenes were also filmed on this day at Ailsa Avenue. The interior scenes in the houses, which turned out to be an extensive living area, were filmed at Twickenham Film Studios.
Also on this day...
- 1969: Recording, mixing: The Ballad Of John And Yoko
- 1966: Recording, mixing: Paperback Writer, Rain
- 1964: Filming: A Hard Day’s Night
- 1963: The Beatles see The Rolling Stones perform for the first time
- 1963: Television: Thank Your Lucky Stars
- 1962: Live: Star-Club, Hamburg
- 1961: Live: Top Ten Club, Hamburg
Want more? Visit the Beatles history section.