The Beatles left London Airport on a chartered flight to the Bahamas to begin filming their second feature film Help!
Their Boeing 707 was seen off by 1,400 fans. Also aboard the flight was their co-star Eleanor Bron.
The flight stopped in New York to refuel, but The Beatles' party did not leave the aeroplane, although US Customs and Immigration wanted them to pass through customs.
Upon their arrival in the Bahamas they held a swiftly-organised press conference at the airport. They then checked in to their suites at the Balmoral Club near Cable Beach, Nassau, and later enjoyed a midnight swim in the ocean.
Also on this day...
- 2015: Ringo Starr live at Coliseo de Puerto Rico, San Juan, Puerto Rico
- 1970: Recording, mixing: That Would Be Something, Valentine Day, Every Night, Maybe I’m Amazed by Paul McCartney
- 1969: Recording: I Want You (She’s So Heavy)
- 1967: Recording, mixing: A Day In The Life
- 1964: Interviews: London Airport
- 1963: Live: Oasis Club, Manchester
- 1961: Live: Hambleton Hall, Liverpool
- 1961: Live: Aintree Institute, Liverpool
Want more? Visit the Beatles history section.