The ambient techno album, credited to The Fireman, had been released in the United Kingdom on 15 November 1993.
I originally got in touch with Youth so I could ask him to do a couple of dance mixes from the Off The Ground project. He’s a ‘buzzy’ character so I was glad when he agreed to do it. The brief from me was that he should only use stuff from our recordings, because dance mixes often feature a kick-drum sample or a James Brown snare sound and, as a consequence, the record ends up sounding a bit like someone else’s So I told Youth that I’d prefer any sound he might select to come off our recordings, mainly Off The Ground.
Also on this day...
- 2015: Ringo Starr live: Coliseo de Puerto Rico, San Juan, Puerto Rico
- 1972: Wings live: Swansea University
- 1971: US single release: Another Day by Paul McCartney
- 1970: Recording, mixing: That Would Be Something, Valentine Day, Every Night, Maybe I’m Amazed by Paul McCartney
- 1969: Recording: I Want You (She’s So Heavy)
- 1967: Recording, mixing: A Day In The Life
- 1965: The Beatles fly to the Bahamas to film Help!
- 1964: Interviews: London Airport
- 1963: Live: Oasis Club, Manchester
- 1961: Live: Hambleton Hall, Liverpool
- 1961: Live: Aintree Institute, Liverpool
Want more? Visit the Beatles history section.