There were two shows on this night, with guest performers including Freddie And The Dreamers, Sounds Incorporated, Elkie Brooks, The Yardbirds, Michael Haslam, The Mike Cotton Sound and Ray Fell. The compère was Jimmy Savile.
The Beatles appeared in two sketches, one with Freddie Garrity of Freddie And The Dreamers, and another with Jimmy Savile. They closed the shows with an 11-song set: ‘Twist And Shout’, ‘I’m A Loser’, ‘Baby’s In Black’, ‘Everybody’s Trying To Be My Baby’, ‘Can’t Buy Me Love’, ‘Honey Don’t’, ‘I Feel Fine’, ‘She’s A Woman’, ‘A Hard Day’s Night’, ‘Rock And Roll Music’ and ‘Long Tall Sally’.
Also on this day...
- 1967: Magical Mystery Tour is premièred on BBC 1
- 1965: Paul McCartney has a moped accident in Liverpool
- 1965: George Harrison pays a surprise visit to his family
- 1963: Live: The Beatles’ Christmas Show
- 1963: US single release: I Want To Hold Your Hand
- 1962: Live: Star-Club, Hamburg
- 1961: Live: Tower Ballroom, New Brighton, Wallasey
Want more? Visit the Beatles history section.