This was the second night of performances at the Astoria Theatre, Finsbury Park, London, for The Beatles' 1963 Christmas season specials. The Beatles flew from Liverpool to London during the day, following their Christmas Day break.
The first act on stage was the Barron Knights and Duke D'Mond. Next came short sets from Tommy Quickly and The Fourmost, and Billy J Kramer and The Dakotas closed the first half. Following the interval there was a return from the Barron Knights and Duke D'Mond, then Cilla Black, and Rolf Harris. The Beatles were the final act of each show, with a performance lasting just 25 minutes.
The Beatles performed nine songs: Roll Over Beethoven, All My Loving, This Boy, I Wanna Be Your Man, She Loves You, Till There Was You, I Want To Hold Your Hand, Money (That's What I Want) and Twist And Shout.
Also on this day, From Us To You, a two-hour television special on The Beatles was broadcast by the BBC on the BBC Light Programme.
Also on this day...
- 1967: Magical Mystery Tour is premièred on BBC 1
- 1965: Paul McCartney has a moped accident in Liverpool
- 1965: George Harrison pays a surprise visit to his family
- 1964: Live: Another Beatles Christmas Show
- 1963: US single release: I Want To Hold Your Hand
- 1962: Live: Star-Club, Hamburg
- 1961: Live: Tower Ballroom, New Brighton, Wallasey
Want more? Visit the Beatles history section.