There were normally two ‘houses’ during the run of The Beatles’ Christmas Show. On this evening, however, there was just one, to give the group, the crew and the other performers enough time to prepare for their New Year celebrations.
The first act on stage was the Barron Knights and Duke D’Mond. Next came short sets from Tommy Quickly and The Fourmost, and Billy J Kramer and The Dakotas closed the first half. Following the interval there was a return from the Barron Knights and Duke D’Mond, then Cilla Black, and Rolf Harris. The Beatles were the final act of each show, with a performance lasting just 25 minutes.
The group performed nine songs: Roll Over Beethoven, All My Loving, This Boy, I Wanna Be Your Man, She Loves You, Till There Was You, I Want To Hold Your Hand, Money (That’s What I Want) and Twist And Shout.
Also on this day...
- 2002: Sir Paul McCartney is presented with his coat of arms
- 1970: Paul McCartney files a lawsuit to dissolve The Beatles’ partnership
- 1966: George Harrison is refused entry to Annabel’s nightclub in London
- 1965: The Beatles attend New Year’s Eve parties
- 1964: Live: Another Beatles Christmas Show
- 1962: Live: Star-Club, Hamburg
- 1960: Live: Casbah Coffee Club, Liverpool
Want more? Visit the Beatles history section.