The Beatles had a day off from their 1963 Autumn Tour on this day but, rather than spend it relaxing, they attended a ceremony held at EMI House in London, where they were given a number of silver presentation discs to mark their extraordinary record sales.
George Martin then presented each of them with a smaller disc to mark the sales of the ‘Twist And Shout’ EP. Finally, the editor of the music newspaper Disc, Gerald Marks, presented them with another silver disc for the Twist And Shout EP, and another for the ‘She Loves You’ single.
Afterwards The Beatles enjoyed a cocktail party and a formal lunch in the boardroom of EMI House, in the company of EMI executives and special guests.
Also on this day...
- 2013: Paul McCartney live at Tokyo Dome, Tokyo, Japan
- 2009: Nowhere Boy soundtrack details revealed
- 2002: Album release: Brainwashed by George Harrison
- 1974: US album release: Goodnight Vienna by Ringo Starr
- 1969: Mixing: Stardust, Dream by Ringo Starr
- 1962: Live: Cavern Club, Liverpool (evening)
- 1961: Live: Cavern Club, Liverpool (evening)
- 1960: Live: Kaiserkeller, Hamburg
Want more? Visit the Beatles history section.