The Beatles’ second BBC radio appearance of the day was at the Playhouse Theatre, London, where they appeared on the popular and influential show Saturday Club, hosted by Brian Matthew.
They began rehearsing for their appearance from 2.30pm, and from 4-5pm recorded a five-song session. The Beatles performed ‘Some Other Guy’, ‘Love Me Do’, ‘Please Please Me’, ‘Keep Your Hands Off My Baby’ and Beautiful Dreamer.
The two-hour programme was broadcast on 26 January at 10am on the BBC Light Programme.
This was The Beatles’ first appearance at the Playhouse Theatre, on Northumberland Avenue, London. In all they recorded 13 sessions at the theatre – more than at any other location – between this day and 7 January 1964.
Also on this day...
- 1969: Get Back/Let It Be sessions: day 13
- 1968: Apple opens offices at 95 Wigmore Street, London
- 1966: George and Pattie Harrison hold a press conference
- 1964: Live: Olympia Theatre, Paris
- 1963: Radio: The Talent Spot
- 1963: Radio: Pop Inn
- 1962: Live: Kingsway Club, Southport
- 1962: Live: Cavern Club, Liverpool (lunchtime)
Want more? Visit the Beatles history section.